Apple Cinema Display Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ceehjayem, Mar 21, 2008.

1. ceehjayem macrumors regular

Has anyone heard if Apple is planning to upgrade their current Apple Cinema Displays? They've had the same ones for a few years now. Thanks.

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

3. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Interestingly enough, Samsung are just launching some fun displays...

Samsung SyncMaster XL24 LED BLU 24" Pro

Samsung SyncMaster XL30 LED BLU 30" Pro

Both are LED backlit, and both are horrifyingly expensive right now, but these use precisely the kind of panel that Apple "should" be looking to incorporate into their revised displays.

I have a suspicion that once the price of the Samsung panels (or the equivalent from one of the handful of manufacturers out there who make the the components rather than just box them up with some electronics) comes down a bit so Apple can charge around their current price point and still make around 35% margin then we will see revised displays. My guess is that it will be towards the end of the year (which coincidently is the deadline apple announced last year for eliminating the existing nasty environmentally unfriendly displays they use in everything except the MBA, MBP15s and some MBP17s).

ACDs many even almost be good value for money at that point. Much like they were when first introduced.

4. ceehjayem thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you both for your input. I didn't know about the buyer's guide. That is awesome.

5. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I hope they do, at least by June cause that's when I'm thinking about buying a macbook and a 23" display. By the way, those samsung ones look sweet too.

6. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I expect they will launch when Blu-Ray does, since the lack of HDCP support in the current Cinema Displays could result in the content being reduced to 540p when played back on an ACD (I am not sure if this is required when HDCP is not present or if it is optional) from a Mac BR player.