Apple Cinema Display Vs. Others

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ktalebian, Jan 24, 2008.

1. ktalebian macrumors regular

Hi
    The Apple Cinema Display is much more expensive than the other brand screens (like LG, Samsung, HP, ...). Why is that?!
    Thanks

2. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

The Apple Cinema Displays (ACD's) use a superior S-IPS panel compared to the $300 to $700 Dell's, HP's and Samsungs.

S-IPS panels have slower response times than the PVA/MVA/TN panels used in the other displays which are better suited for gaming, watching video and web surfing.

ACD's with the S-IPS panel have a better viewing angle, they calibrate better with lower Delta-E than the cheaper panels. Delta E is a fancy way of describing the distance or difference between similar colors on a panel: important for image editing which is headed towards printed output.

The cheaper panels are newer and have better inputs, more inputs, and far superior adjustability.

The ACD's have the better panel and are targeted towards the print and graphics market.

The 23" ACD at $799 to $899 is actually a VERY good deal for the money. The closest monitor to it is the new 24" NEC which sells for $1099. The NEC is superior however.

My 2 cents from a lot of time spent with monitors.

3. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Y'know, I just started working at a Media company that runs Mac Pro's and pretty much everyone works all day in Final Cut pro. My point is that these people don't mind spending money.

I have always coveted a 30" ACD. But a lot of the people here run Dell 30" monitors (or two at each desk) and they are beautiful. The hard-code editors say that they prefer the Dells as the colour is better. They're also (apparently) just over half the price. And they have an incredible range of movement, whereas the ACD's are stuck in the same position.

We don't have many 30" ACD's but a lot of 24" preferring instead the 30" Dell.

I'm just talking about what I've seen. I'm not an editor and don't pretend to know enough to make a call myself.

Cheers

4. DHart macrumors 6502

DHart

I'm no expert, but from what I've learned, there are generally three grade levels (and corresponding price ranges) for today's LCD monitors.

TN-based panels- lowest cost, not as good for graphics/photo applications, but good for gaming, motion, web surfing

PVA-based panels - mid price, incorporating many of the good qualities of the higher priced IPS and lower priced TN technologies - probably the best value between price and quality for many people.

IPS-based panels - highest cost... best suited to graphics/photo editing. Apple Cinema Displays are IPS. But the 20" display in aluminum iMacs are TN, dang it!