Apple Cinema Display: Why Not Just Buy A HDTV?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MJNBGA, Jul 18, 2011.

1. MJNBGA macrumors regular

Seriously, for the same price I can buy a HDTV and hook up my MBP using HDMI!
    What are your thoughts?

2. simsaladimbamba, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011

simsaladimbamba

Because a TV is not the same as a dedicated computer monitor and you are limited to 1920 x 1080 pixel on a 30" or even bigger TV, which looks abysmal.
    There are cheaper alternatives to the ACD, look at Dells or other manufacturers.

3. glen e macrumors 68030

Just bought a 27 LG monitor from new egg....very nice ...1/3 of apple...

4. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I wouldn't buy an Apple Display as there are lots of cheaper alternatives. However, a normal size TV will look terrible as the resolution is just too low, even if it's 1080p.

5. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

theres more pixels on a Cinema Display.

and looks way better.

price is insanely high, agree.

6. SvP macrumors 6502

SvP

HD says nothing about resolution if you don't know the size; TN displays are cheaper than IPS displays; Plastic is cheaper than aluminium; etc, etc, etc..

show me a 27-inch LCD-panel (IPS) with 2560 x 1440 for a lot less than the Apple Display before you talk about "expensive" or "cheap"

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the 27" Cinema Display has enough pixels to display four (4) simultaneous 720p HD video streams.

I might add that computer monitors have fundamentally different design goals than TV sets. TV sets are designed to be viewed from across the room. Computer monitors are designed to be viewed from a chair that is within arms reach of the the monitor.

8. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Even the equivalent Dell is $999. Actually, they claim it is $1099 and they "discount" it $100.

9. Invisible Elf macrumors member

The Apple Cinema Display is not just the monitor though. It also has the web cam, USB hub and charger for your mac! You pay extra for the extra convencience