Apple Cinema Display without Glass?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by byke, Jan 28, 2011.

1. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

In my desperation, I have started to wonder if it would be possible to use a 27" ACD without the glass .... and have also started to wonder how awful it would look like? .... Does anyone have any pics of what it would look like? I have seen the imacs without glass .... but not a ACD.

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Albeit possible, a display without a protective panel cover (which is what the glass is) is not usable.
    The raw panel is VERY vulnerable, which makes cleaning a hassle.

If you can't stand the glossy cover, use either the older Cinema displays (matte) or other matte 27" screens such as the NEC or Dell.

3. RubbishBBspeed macrumors regular

Not that it's much help. I'm currently working on a matt swappable version, although it's very early stages and my prototypes are based on the 15' macbook pro. Had tried almost every type of overlay film, diffuser etc on test panels and none worked.

Next process is attempting to make use of vanadium oxide solution to coat the glass and see if that reduce the glare to some extent. Although glare reducing coatings only work for specific angles.

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

That'd be like taking off your epidermis. You'd live, but probably not for long :eek:

5. RubbishBBspeed macrumors regular

I like your thinking, it's not that bad though and being done under lab conditions too. albeit in lunch and downtimes. Lots of lab coats, gloves and extractor fans.

The alternative was using hydrofluoric acid....... now that's a bad boy of solutions.