Apple Cinema Display won't stay asleep. Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TheSpaz, Jun 3, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I have a first gen Mac Pro with a 20" Apple Cinema Display connected to it. I always leave my computer in, but I let my display sleep. My display will go to sleep fine but it will wake up randomly and then fall back asleep again after the time interval. This has been going on for a long time but it's starting to really bother me. Anyone else have this happen?

2. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

any devices connected to the monitor? might be waking it up..

3. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Good idea. I have my USB mouse connected to it, my iPhone dock, and an iSight. I unplugged my iSight. I'll see if anything changes. Thanks for the tip.

4. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

My first-gen Mac Pro with ACDs did exactly the same thing and it drove me up the wall (especially as they were in my bedroom at the time so you can imagine trying to sleep with two walls of light eminating from the corner of the room)... I ended up just tapping the button on the side to power them down before going to bed as I wasn't able to isolate the problem.

5. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yeah... it's been doing this for a long time. It must be a first gen Mac Pro thing. I guess I can just tap the button on the side... I just liked having a little light so I could make my way to the bed instead of walking through the dark.

6. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I think I may have finally figured out what the culprit was. I turned off Screen Sharing in my Sharing Preferences and it hasn't randomly come on yet. I wonder if the screen sharing server wakes the display up for some reason.

I'm not sure if screen sharing alone is the problem or if it's because I had the VNC server turned on as well (in Advanced).

Anyways... it seems like when it goes asleep now, it stays asleep.