Apple Cinema Display! Y u so expensive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aziatiklover, Aug 28, 2011.

1. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

So man I really love to have one, but I don't see myself paying for a $1000 monitor with a Facetime HD build in! If it was an Apple LCD TV that would be something else! Thoughts opinions guys?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

2560x1440 monitors are expensive. It's priced about the same as competitors (e.g. Dell U2711). IPS technology is also much more expensive (and better) than the more popular TN.

3. stefmesman macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

What hellhammer said, the acd is priced pretty competitive if you look at other displays with the same internals.

4. aziatiklover thread starter macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Yea I know, but for that price I rather get an OLED Samsung TV 32". AmIright?

5. tanhm macrumors regular

tanhm

agreed , apple's stuffs are always expensive because it always uses the best.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

LED, maybe - but definitely not OLED. Yes, you might be able to get a 32" TV for less $ but you will be limited to 1920x1080 resolution, which is worse than 2560x1440. That is why the ACD costs so much.

7. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

They are not similarly priced in the UK unfortunately. I purchased the Dell U2711 for £631, whereas the Apple display is £899. Although the Apple display is probably better I really hate the reflective screen. The U2711 has a matt display and lots of connection options. Its really a no brainer.

8. aziatiklover thread starter macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I see your point now. thanx for the infos and help. But I still think 1080p over HDMI for a mac mini should be fine with me. I will wait for an Actual Apple LCD TV before I jump on the Cinema Display.

9. stefmesman macrumors 6502

if they will make an Apple LCD TV it will also be 1920x1080. (unless its over 5 years from now) theres nothing out there to make use of higher resolution. the only reason pc monitors have higher resolution is because you sit up close and the content is mostly text.

the dell monitor is cheaper but does it also have a thunderbolt hub? 3 USB, 1 Firewire AND eathernet over 1 cable? does it daisy chain to another display or does it have an thunderbolt out? don't think so :)

10. Tony5787 macrumors member

The Dell U2711 supports 1.07 billion colors though and the ACD only supports 16.7 million doesn't it?

11. aziatiklover thread starter macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Awesome infos thanx I did not know it has an ethernet port!

12. stefmesman macrumors 6502

the 27'' cinema display has a wide color gamut of 70% where the U2711 has 102% so yes is has more colors.

on the other end. the U2711 is CCFL backlit and the ACD is LED backlit. where LED is considered to be better then CCFL. because its CCFL its also ALOT thicker then the ACD. The Cinema Display has an glossy display this also makes up for a lot of the color contrast missing in the display. The cinema display has better blacks then the U2711.

13. Tony5787 macrumors member

Yeah I would get cinema display over the dell any day. Especially now that it is $899 at B&H Photo.

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's not that simple. While LED may make the colors look better, be brighter and thinner, CCFL is still the winner for professional use as it's more photo-realistic (this is the only thing that matters, the color must be the same on the screen and final print).

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ccfl-led-backlight,2930-16.html

But the gloss comes with its own problems. It's very reflective, which is something you don't want when accuracy is important. Most professionals prefer matte because it's not as limited as glossy (glossy requires environment with very little light to avoid reflections).

15. MonsterRain macrumors member

Glossy is the only thing that's kept me from jumping on two of the ACD's. I hate glossy screens on any TV/monitor.

16. stefmesman macrumors 6502

what if you are printing on glossy paper?:)

or outputting for a glossy TV? (wich alot of prosumer ones are)

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You still need color accuracy. The thing with reflections are that they are often different. It depends on the angle, brightness etc of the light. Thus you can't risk the product by using a glossy display because the buyer might still see the flaw in a glossy display, even if you didn't (because reflections vary).

18. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Then the printer will calibrate the color profile so that it matches for glossy paper. :)

Why would a prosumer output to a glassy TV? I've never even seen one before. Most (all?) LCD TV's are matte, the only type of TV that has a display that's as glassy as the ACD is an old school CRT TV, but CRT monitors - ironically enough - are more color accurate than even matte displays.

19. stefmesman macrumors 6502

Almost all current Samsung tv's have a glossy layer as the macbook air does, also the higher phillips segment. not quite as glossy as the ACD but still quite reflective. @HellHammer of course, makes sense.

20. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I have a glassy Sony Bravia downstairs. Another glassy Pioneer too if I go one floor further. And yes, they have an actual glass on top of the panel. Some panels are also very glossy so no glass is even required (many Samsungs I've seen are very glossy).

21. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I don't mean to be protentious, but honestly I've never seen any TV's like that in my life. Even when walking through Best Buy or any stores like that. I'll make sure to look next time I go out.

22. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I'm only seeing one matte TV in Sony's site (or that part of their site): http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/st...0151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644783506

All but one have the glossy kind of reflection on the left hand side. It's probably a thing you just haven't paid attention to.