Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
i have a ACD i would like to use with my pc and would like to know if using a mdp coupler it would work with my pc which has either hdmi or via outputs

i am thinking about attaching the coupler to my acd mini display port then at the other side using a mini display port to VGA or hdmi

i have attached images of my idea below if this may work?

Attachments

• 65021.jpg
    65021.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 315
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    2.6 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
i am thinking about attaching the coupler to my acd mini display port then at the other side using a mini display port to VGA or hdmi

That won't work.

The mdp-to-VGA adapter you show converts a MDP output to a VGA output - it won't convert your PCs VGA output to MDP. Same goes for the cheap HDMI adapters you might find (note that there are a lot of poorly described products and nonsense internet posts out there about this).

There are more expensive HDMI-to-DisplayPort adapters - e.g. http://uk.startech.com/AV/Converters/Video/Active-HDMI-or-DVI-to-DisplayPort-Converter~HDMI2DP
... but note that one has a max resolution of 1920x1200, so it certainly won't drive the 2560x1440p Cinema display at full resolution (and might not work at all).

Take a closer look at your ACD. They don't have a Mini Display Port connector.

The Apple 27" LED Cinema Display (NOT the Thunderbolt Display, but the identical-looking older model) does have a Mini Display Port connector - although it is a plug on a captive lead, not a socket on the monitor.

It might work on a PC with a mini-displayPort output (not unknown) - but the ACD was only ever designed to connect to Macs so I wouldn't bank on it. Kaven's PC doesn't have one, so that's irrelevant.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.