Apple Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kaven, Mar 28, 2014.

1. kaven, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014

kaven macrumors newbie

i have a ACD i would like to use with my pc and would like to know if using a mdp coupler it would work with my pc which has either hdmi or via outputs

i am thinking about attaching the coupler to my acd mini display port then at the other side using a mini display port to VGA or hdmi

i have attached images of my idea below if this may work?

Attached Files:

2. treestar macrumors 6502

Take a closer look at your ACD. They don't have a Mini Display Port connector.

3. theluggage, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014

theluggage macrumors 68030

That won't work.

The mdp-to-VGA adapter you show converts a MDP output to a VGA output - it won't convert your PCs VGA output to MDP. Same goes for the cheap HDMI adapters you might find (note that there are a lot of poorly described products and nonsense internet posts out there about this).

There are more expensive HDMI-to-DisplayPort adapters - e.g. http://uk.startech.com/AV/Converters/Video/Active-HDMI-or-DVI-to-DisplayPort-Converter~HDMI2DP
    ... but note that one has a max resolution of 1920x1200, so it certainly won't drive the 2560x1440p Cinema display at full resolution (and might not work at all).

The Apple 27" LED Cinema Display (NOT the Thunderbolt Display, but the identical-looking older model) does have a Mini Display Port connector - although it is a plug on a captive lead, not a socket on the monitor.

It might work on a PC with a mini-displayPort output (not unknown) - but the ACD was only ever designed to connect to Macs so I wouldn't bank on it. Kaven's PC doesn't have one, so that's irrelevant.

4. shenfrey macrumors 68000