Apple Cinema Displays - 24" LED with Mac Pro - or is something new likely?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by valdore, Jun 14, 2009.

1. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

It's going to come time eventually where I'll want dual displays with my mac pro, and I'll be damned if I attach anything that says "Dell" (Hell) on it to my Mac Pro.

And, I've found Apple's recent goings-on regarding its Cinema Displays to be questionable. They market that nice looking new LED for the bloody laptops and then come out later and say - "oh yeah, you can use it for the Mini, too," which doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence. When I visited my "friendly neighborhood Apple Store" yesterday one of the sales guys said that the new 24 inch LED won't work yet with the Mac Pro (For some reason I thought it did).

So, if Apple Store Dude was correct on that, what the hell is Apple up to regarding their monitors? Their behavior on this subject over the past year has not made any sense at all to me. I want to buy a new Cinema Display and keep my present 23" as my secondary display in a dual monitor set up, and I've looked around and am confident that Apple's monitors are better than most all the others - but dealing with Apple's bizarre pattern of product releases can leave one befuddled.

2. cYbernation macrumors newbie

if you want a display that is really better than all the other buy a eizo .

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

30" LED H-IPS panels are far too expensive to sell right now. It'll be a year or more before an updated 30" exists.

The 24" won't change for another three years, either, given Apple's history.

4. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

If you check apples site, it says

extended desktop
    When you connect your new MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, or Mini DisplayPort-enabled Mac desktops (Mac Pro, Mac mini, iMac) to the LED Cinema Display, it’s like upgrading your screen to first class. The 24-inch glossy widescreen display gives your work room to move. And the 1920-by-1200 resolution gives it room to impress.

so long as you have a mini display port enabled mac pro it should work fine, Apple Store guy, like his counterparts Best Buy guy and Wal-Mart guy has no idea what the hell he's talking about.

5. buckeye17 macrumors member

If you won't get a Dell monitor because of the name... that's kinda sad to be honest. Dell's nice Ultrasharp monitors (some of them are bad) are really good, and their warranty support is amazing.

6. valdore thread starter macrumors 65816

valdore

Because I hate Dell the same way my father hates Sears. I've dealt with their crappy products and crappy customer service for enough years that I maintain a personal boycott of their miserable wretched company. They can go the way of GM for all I care.

7. valdore thread starter macrumors 65816

valdore

But back on topic - and not to re-open the can of worms about the matte or glossy controversy - but any idea how the glossy 24 inch LED helps or hurts with photography editing and color correctness?

8. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

You can connect the Mac Pro to the 24" LED display, you just need an extra NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 graphics card to do it. Basically tying up another PCI slot, but what else is new.

9. The Hammer macrumors regular

It might be time to update the advice given in the ACD Buyers Guide on MacRumors.

10. valdore thread starter macrumors 65816

valdore

Ah... I'm using the ATI Radeon 3870 so I might be out of luck. This is a first-generation 8 core mac pro.

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

A couple of months ago, Macworld did a review of recent lcd monitors, and-surprise!-the 24" ACD wasn't their first choice! Top honors went to a gateway with a better price.

12. globalmac macrumors newbie

duped by apple for a 24"

Hi - I just got duped by apple into buying a 24" for a Mac Pro thats 1 year old. I got it here and it doesn't match. The adapter apple told me to but won't work. Can I plug in the GeForce card and go with it? any other suggestions?

13. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

Yes that should work, as long as you have the additional graphics card. Basically you need two Geforce cards.

14. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

As long as it has a Mini DisplayPort out.

15. Dexter v House macrumors member

MacWorld June 2009,
    ACD v HP LP2475W v LaCie324 v Samsung 245T v ViewSonic 2433wm
    all 24"

HP LP2475W was their pick.
    I'd recommend calibration as factory settings are bad.
    And it has more connections than you can throw a stick at.
    Haven't read the review word by word, nor recommending it as such, just a FYI.

16. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

Thanks, do you know if the article is available online anywhere, I couldn't find it? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a HP LP2475W tonight.

17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Pretty sure you didn't get duped by anyone and that you should have done some research and known that you'd need to buy a GT 120 or 4870 for that display to work.

18. rich2k4 macrumors regular

wait,so you can't connect a 24" LCD to a mac pro?

is LED different then LCD?

19. Dexter v House macrumors member

Sent you a PM, good buddy.

20. globalmac macrumors newbie

Forgive me, I'm a newbie. You're right - I should have done more research, but I was under the gun and specifically asked the guy on the Apple support line if the 24" would work on an early 2008 Mac pro, and he said "all you need is an adapter". Let me rephrase and say "was misled" by Apple support.

I'm not blaming anyone but myself, but you would think Apple would provide an adapter to fit older models. I know Apple is strange in how they release their products, wanting you to buy their latest and greatest, but really, to make a monitor that doesn't fit older models AND discontinue making ones that fit doesn't seem like a wise business choice. The 30" would work, but who has $1800 to spend on a monitor?