apple cinema displays as TVs

Zoboomafoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2002
i need a new tv and i need a new computer.

while the 30" display is very expensive, if it can double as a good HDTV, i would actually give some thought to buying it, so that i can have an awesome computer monitor and a good TV as well.

is there any comparison of apple's LCD monitors to the LCD TVs out there?

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Zoboomafoo said:
i need a new tv and i need a new computer.

while the 30" display is very expensive, if it can double as a good HDTV, i would actually give some thought to buying it, so that i can have an awesome computer monitor and a good TV as well.

is there any comparison of apple's LCD monitors to the LCD TVs out there?
Yes, watching TV on a 30" Apple Cinema Display (ACD) will be disappointing, just as using a regular 30" LCD TV (with 1280x768 native resolution) will be a big step down from using a 30" ACD.

The reason is the 30" Apple has far higher resolution than HDTV, so you'll be able to see all sorts of garbage artifacting much more clearly on it than on a 1920x1080 or lower LCD TV.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
I bought the Dell 30" LCD TV for my office and its picture quality was horrible.

I went out to circuit city last week and bought a 32" Sharp LCD TV. The quality was significantly better than the Dell. It was alot more than the Dell costing $2200, which is $800 less than the Apple Cinema. If you were to hook up the Sharp to a computer, everything would be really big unlike the cinema, but the TV/DVD quality is excellent, and thats what I needed.