Apple Cinema Displays Connectivity

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by .mark., May 28, 2007.

1. .mark. macrumors 6502

Hi, I am considering purchasing an apple cinema display (23") to use with a macbook pro. I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to connect other devices to the display such as a nintendo wii or a freeview tuner?

As far as I am aware the displays only have one DVI input so I am aware that I would need to purchase a switcher (e.g. grefen) if I connect more than 1 device. Would I be able to use this Apple PAL DVI to Video Adapter to watch TV from my freeview box- which can output s-video. This decription of the adapter talks about it being used the other way (i.e. converting an output from DVI to video) - can it be used the other way round (i.e. converting video to DVI)?

The setup would be something like this...

|Apple Display| - |DVI to video adapter| - |S-Video Cable| - |Freeview Box|

if anyone knows for sure whether or not this will work, or even better if any knows of a better way to do this I would like to hear from you.

Mark

2. gphoto macrumors member

I will be getting an ACD as well and was wondering the same question. Mark, the item that you would like to use is not going to work the way you think it will; it is DVI to PAL, not the other way around. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good converter?

3. .mark. thread starter macrumors 6502

ah right - i wasn't sure whether it was limited to one direction or it was bi-directional. Thanks for clearing that up... now all we need is a clever person to come up with a solution - the ACDs are so nice - it would be a shame if you cannot get more out of them than just being a computer monitor.

Also - if anyone knows of a freeview box which has a dvi out could they let me know as that would do the trick - but sadly not the wii problem....

4. .mark. thread starter macrumors 6502

i've just stubled across this which sounds like it would do the trick.

slightly pricey for £138 tho....

5. .mark. thread starter macrumors 6502

i've just been looking at the Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP 24" widescreen LCD and it looks like maybe it would suit my needs better than the apple cinema display as it offers a lot more connectiity - what are people's thoughts on this?

Does anyone have any experience with this monitor (or similar)?

Also, i remember reading on here somewhere that the ACD may get upgraded soon - do people think it would be upgraded to match the Dell in terms of connectivity?

As I said in my first post I am going to purchase a display to use with a MBP (with I am waiting until the WWDC to buy) so hopefully apple will update both the MBP and the ACD (with added connectivity) and that will solve my problems. This is obviously not gaurenteed so if anyone has any comments on the Dell I look forward to reading them.

6. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Curious remark, "......would be a shame if you cannot get more out of them than just being a computer monitor." It is a monitor, and that would be my first concern, how good a monitor it is.

If you do some searching on this forum, you can spend the rest of the day reading opinions about ACD vs. Dell. As it turns out, I have 4 ACDs and 2 of the Dells you are talking about. I have 2 Dell 30" at work. I use the ACDs when I am working with video. I use the Dells when I am doing programming and database work. I really like a great deal of screen real estate. The 24" Dells have served me well for SW development. The only downside is the height/width ratio. I seem to spend too much time adjusting window sizes. But, that is a minor annoyance. I have used them since January 2005 and they are as bright and sharp as when new.

As far as the connectivity goes, if it is there I use it, but would not factor that into a buying decision. My original 23" ACDs did not have any connections and I could not have cared less. I added additional internal FW800 ports and a powered USB/FW400 Hub. No big deal.

7. .mark. thread starter macrumors 6502

cheers for the comments... i think i'm sold on the Dell although I'll be waiting til after WWDC though as i'm in no rush...

To expand on my earlier comment I was meaning that a 23/24" widescreen LCD display has the potential to be used for more than just a monitor - I understand your comment that it is a monitor and thats what it should be used for - but having more connection interfaces on the apple would give it more potential to be a more versitile display. For example, I plan to watch freeview and also connect a nintendo wii to the display I purchase. To do this with the apple would require me purchasing a few extra converters and switchers. Having these posibilities built in would possibly give the ACD a wider appeal. Saying that though - if the mayority of the displays are bought by graphics companies - this argument does not stand as they would be unlikely to use it as a multi-functional display in the manor i plan to.

hope that cleared it up...

8. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Another way of doing this would be to buy a USB TV tuner, like the Elgato EyeTV Hybrid.

I use one for watching freeview and playing my Wii on a 20in Apple Cimema display. It also allows me to record from freeview on to my computer and pause/rewind live TV etc...

9. .mark. thread starter macrumors 6502

I had considered this but i like the idea of having independent devices i.e. the display could still be used for watching tv whilst the laptop is being used elsewhere. I don't like the idea that everything would have to be done through the laptop.