Apple Cinema Displays - Redesign / Refresh?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hollywoodmacguy, Jul 26, 2007.

1. hollywoodmacguy macrumors regular

For months there have been rumors that the Cinema Displays were poised for a refresh to include features such as iSight, HDMI, etc. and/or an actual redesign. Maybe there might actually be something finally coming. Perhaps we'll have to wait for them to be revealed with Leopard in October. And, of course, Steve has promised that all displays will become LED within a year. Hopefully we won't have to wait til MacWorld...

Just wondering if anyone has read or heard anything lately on this front? It's been extremely quiet...

2. Tsurisuto macrumors 6502

I was wondering the same. Also I was hope Apple would consider bumping the resolution a little too, just so you can watch 1080 HD video content at full resolution.

3. hollywoodmacguy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, Tsurisuto. I agree: the resolution should definitely be bumped up on the displays across the board. Seems like it's been a LONG time since they've actually upgraded the display specs. The main updates are price drops, which are definitely welcome, but are not like getting new machines with all of the other things folks have been eagerly waiting for...

Wish there were more rumors on this great rumor site about the displays! :)

4. astrostu macrumors 6502

I'm sure there would be if there were any to report. :( Displays seem like the bastard child of Apple -- they only touch them every few years and then just pretend like they're not there in terms of other normal product cycle refreshes.

5. hollywoodmacguy thread starter macrumors regular

Well, if they only touch them every few years, then they are due now... :) According to the Buyer's Guide, it was June '04 when the current design was introduced. LED displays and maybe a redesign to showcase Leopard in October?? :) :)

BTW, I did hear from someone who was at an Apple Store the other day that he mentioned to an employee that he was jonesing for new displays with an iSight built-in, etc. and the Apple guy said, "well, I think your wishes have been heard..." Of course, that could mean that Apple reads these message boards like everyone else and has, in fact, heard that everyone wants updated/redesigned displays. Or... it could mean that the wishes have been heard AND are soon to be granted... ;)

Really curious if anyone else has heard anything at all - news, gossip, rumors - on this topic...

6. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

potential buyer of a 20"er in Sept/Early Oct.

However I'm heading towards a Dell 24" at the moment as its £10 less than the Apple!!!

Megapixel iSight and 1080p HDCP would bring me right back towards the Apple

7. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Guys, do some more research!
    1. The current ACD was introduced in 2004, but every year there where updates in August/September and the product name stayed the same.
    2. LED displays aren't yet available in large quantities, look at the MBP 15", the delay for those are the LED screens.
    3. LED displays are still very expensive and difficult to make in a high resolution.

We are waiting for number 3! There aren't a lot of 30" or even 23/24" screens (yes, the 23" is probably going to be replaced by a 24") out there with LED backlight yet and a S-IPS screen. And probably the new ACD's will have 160 dpi, same as the iPhone. As far as I know there are no such displays yet. Maybe that feature will come next year. Anyhow, If we want to know when Apple is going to bring out new screens, we probably should look at LG, because they are the #1 supplier for the screens now and the one that could have these kind of screens.

8. hollywoodmacguy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the insight. You are right that they have made some updates, but doesn't it seem like there's been nothing major in a long time, except for price cuts? iSight disappeared as a product and it would make sense to add it to the displays if they're not going to provide it as a separate product. And I know a lot of folks have been wanting HDMI for the displays... Last, Steve promised in May that all displays would have LEDs within a year so I guess at most it will be 9 months or so, but that seems like a LONG time... Especially if you're waiting to buy a new MBP and get the display at the same time... The waiting is tough, but hopefully it will be worth it...

It really does seem like either they have nothing to say on this now or they've gone on radio silence before launching a redesign or major refresh... Hope is really springing eternal here! :)

9. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

How is it difficult to make them high resolution? I thought they just changed the back lighting method?

10. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

it's apparently hard enough. the 17" macbook pro model wasn't updated to have led backlighting like its 15" brother. if apple can't get a 17" display out there, i don't think they'll be making a 20" model (or higher) anytime soon.

11. hollywoodmacguy thread starter macrumors regular

i did hear from a REALLY good source that the 17" MBP LED models are, in fact, ready and will be in apple stores in 2-3 weeks max. if true, and i have every reason to believe it is ;), this is pretty encouraging...

now, all they need to do is make 20", 23"/24" and 30" models... and, btw, how hard would it be to include iSight since they are already in the iMac and the MBPs??

12. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

Just get an ACD and be happy with it. I couldn't be happier with the 23" I just bought.

13. mathwhiz90601 macrumors 6502

mathwhiz90601

Perhaps it was "your wishes have been heard and thrown on the mile-high pile of other wishes to be processed"?

14. mathwhiz90601 macrumors 6502

mathwhiz90601

What kind of source is it? Someone in the supplier chain? Apple employee? Kid with time on his hands?

15. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX9900/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

We all know that the displays are overdue for an update, but seriously, the things have largely been the same for 3 years! My best guess is that by the time leopard ships, we will have new acds on our hands.

16. hollywoodmacguy thread starter macrumors regular

Definitely makes sense to me. Nothing substantive at all has happened to the ACDs in so long that, by comparison, the iMac is practically new. And everyone is convinced that the iMac's going to be refreshed/completely redesigned and relaunched within the next month, if not on August 7th specifically. And, more importantly, those possibly/probably will now have new LED displays as large as 24" and maybe even 30", so, if true, they exist for the ACDs... Piling speculation on speculation here, but, hey, it's a rumor site... :)

Hope you're right, Zwhaler, about the October-at-the-latest timing and really tend to agree with you.

If not, any guesses about alternative timing? Doesn't feel like this is something, like iPod, that will have to be updated for Christmas shoppers. Is this something that could be released at MacWorld in January or is this too Pro oriented and more of a WWDC item?

17. macleod199 macrumors 6502

The iSight was killed primarily because of new environmental regs in the EU... I forget whether it was lead or mercury that they had to get rid of. So it's one of those things where they can't come back till science/engineering catches up with new, affordable materials to fill the gap.

18. hollywoodmacguy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, Macleod. Had not read that about the iSight flunking EU environmental regs.

How hard would it be for Apple to simply install built-in iSights in the ACDs like they do in iMacs and MBPs?

19. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

How solid/reliable is this so-called source of yours?

20. hollywoodmacguy thread starter macrumors regular

my "so-called" source is, in fact, an excellent source who is completely reliable. ;) that info is from almost two weeks ago, so i'm estimating that we should hear officially that they (17" LED backlit MBPs) will be in stores shortly.

btw, i do appreciate your healthy skepticism. this is a rumor site where some pretty sketchy information gets thrown around. i really have every reason to believe that this one is true. and it's not hearsay, but something i was directly told.

i'd expect that we might even hear this on tuesday, except for the fact that everyone seems to expect that we'll hear tuesday about some big iMac launch event the following tuesday (the much-anticipated august 7th).

are you also waiting for a new 17" or are you using this to gauge whether the LEDs could soon be coming to the ACDs? or both?

21. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

I don't see Apple changing horses midstream. Midstream = mid-product cycle. The 17" MBP was updated on June 5th. As you know, Apple generally goes 7 to 10 months between updating its product line. Maybe Apple wants to show it's aggressive about going green, but I remain skeptical. Sorry!

I would be looking for a MacBook Pro more than cinema displays, although I am kind of interested in seeing an overhaul to both product's designs. I feel that both are coming — especially in light of Apple's purported keyboard layout change — but I don't think they'll come with new iMacs and new iPods. That would be too much at once.

22. astrostu macrumors 6502

And don't forget new Mac Pros!! :eek:

23. mathwhiz90601 macrumors 6502

mathwhiz90601

That IS hearsay. Hearsay is anything said outside of court by someone not under oath, unless it fits into a very well classified exception, like it was their dying breath or was part of an expert witness's line of work.

Sorry, I was in Mock Trial for 2 years, had to learn that.:p

24. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

New Mac Pros. It's been too damn long without an update. In 12 days it hits the one year mark. :mad:

25. hollywoodmacguy thread starter macrumors regular

It definitely seems like the Mac Pros are due for an update, at the very least. If it makes you feel any better, however, it's been three years :mad: since the ACDs were introduced and they just linger with no real updates at all...

How long could it take for the LED suppliers to get their collective acts together and get 20, 23 and 30" displays manufactured?? :confused: