Apple Cinema Displays?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gibbo132, Jun 25, 2012.

1. gibbo132 macrumors regular

I am moving to a MacBook air and as such will need a new monitor.
    I have been suggested a Dell Ultrasharp U2412M or the 23" version.
    While they look fantastic monitors features wise, I don't like their design!

What are people's oppinions on used 20" or 23" Apple Cinema Displays?
    They can be brought for good prices on eBay and look really nice.
    The resolution on the 20" isn't that great but is it as bad as some people hAve made out?

Thanks
    Chris

2. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

I recommend the 23" cinema display. I currently own this one and I've used the 30" cinema display also. Both of these are excellent as a secondary display. I'm not a fan of the 20" because the resolution isn't that great compared with the two larger siblings. However, it depends on what you will use it for. I'm a photographer and I use it for editing photos so I need large and clear. If you only use it to surf the web, 20" might be sufficient.

I recently bought a 15" MBP with the matte screen and it has the same resolution as the 20" CD. My 23" CD has been used rarely since I got my current MBP. IMHO, it was the best monitor with a matte display that Apple produced. It is currently for sale it and I'm sad to be selling it - I'm not sure why. :(

If you buy one, try to find one that was purchased/manufactured in the final year of availability (2008 for the 23 & 30" and 2009 for the 20"). The are backlit with cold cathode fluorscent bulbs and there is a limited lifespan for the bulbs so the colour may vary in older units.

3. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

I went from the 23" to the 30" ACD precisely because of the design and matte display. I have no regrets. This beauty is still going strong with my mac pro.

4. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

There's actually an old Aluminium Cinema Display 23" connected to a Mac Mini mid 2010 here in the house. It works flawlessly, despite it's age! (see screenshot). I's says late 2005.

Damned thing is wall mounted. Looks superb.:cool:

Attached Files:

5. flynz4, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012

flynz4 macrumors 68040

I wouldn't do it. The resolution is just too low.

Contemporary monitors have 2560 pixels horizontal. For that capability, you pay a lot. You really have no great options to get 2560 H cheap.

1920 horizontal monitors are a dime a dozen. Pick one, any one and you will probably be fine. You can easily find one for $150-$250 price range, and possibly much lower.

Going less than 1920 H is a mistake. They are obsolete. In fact, I just brought four old 1920X1080 monitors to an eWaste recycling center... because they had dropped to zero value for my use. For me personally... I have no desire for any monitor less than 2560 H... and i look forward to the day in the not so distant future were 3000-4000 horizontal monitors become affordable.

/Jim

6. SteelBlueTJ macrumors 6502

I am in the same boat. I am moving from a 20" iMac paired with a 20" Apple cinema display to a mac pro. I love the 20" cinema display and the quality of build and viewing angle is superb. First I thought about searching eBay for used one but they are all expensive for what you get, plus most of them are missing the power brick or are all beat up and scratched. Another thing is they are all anywhere from 3-7 years old. I think 2005 was the first year and 2009 was the last year for the aluminum displays. Not 100% sure though. So I don't know if I feel comfortable buying a 3-7 year old display when I can get a new one for the same money at just about any store. Or I could take gamble and get another one on eBay and having matching dual monitors. Not sure what to do either.