apple cinema displays

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by modular, Oct 16, 2009.

1. modular macrumors regular

whats the deal with apple's display lineup?? the buyers guide says its been 926 days since the last update, with an average update every 230 days.

Wish they still sold those 23" acd's. I'm really after the matte display so the 24" is out, and the 30" is a little much.

is apple every going to update the display line?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think they will along with new Mac Pro in 2010. 30" LED panel is way too expensive atm so  is still waiting for it to come down.

3. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

What I don't understand is why it is so expencive.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Welcome to the club.

Additionally, displays are the least predictable thing to guess regarding updates.

5. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

I mean, I don't have a problem with paying about 300 pound for a really good 24inch display. But 600 is just stupid.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Apple has always been overpriced, in displays it's rather ridiculous. But people still buy them, so why change? More importantly, is the lack of updates.

7. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Besides the Apple surcharge, it uses a "higher end" screen... i.e., not TN.

Yeah. Plus the panel tech hasn't made too much progress in the past few years.

8. katyoshi macrumors 6502

Apple may be overpriced but look at their quality of products and service if your product is acting funny. I bought a refurbished 24" ACD in august this year and I LOVE IT. I get to use the ichat, microphone, speakers, and the beautiful crisp display while it looks gorgeous. I get lots of complements from friends and family who come over my house. I look up other displays and with technology like the 24" ACD, the price is comparable and if not, may be more than the ACD. Sure there are other LED displays out there like samsung, but it doesn't have all these features. Plus if you have a new mac, it works seamlessly with no adapters needed and I had no problems.

9. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

How good are the speakers for it? And if I chose to buy some other speakers for my future mac can I stop sound from coming out of the display?

10. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

It's to bad that Apple's "higher end" panels can be found in OEM displays for hundreds less

11. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

A general rule of thumb is that 99% of monitor speakers aren't even worth turing on. You can turn them off by selecting a different output in system prefs, you are much better off buying an external system anyway

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The speakers are bad. They are 2.1 with 12W output.

13. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

can you post an example?

14. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Agreed - however in the refurb section, you can get it for $599 - I think that's a pretty good deal...

15. K3mp macrumors 6502

It is a great deal. Thats how I got mine. I can easily justify $599 for all the features it has over other displays (by the time you by speakers, display, and power adapter the prices are about the same), but $899 is a little steep for most people.

16. Andy348 macrumors 6502

$599 brings it closer to other displays, but not exactly on par.

I think its a fair price though!

17. camgrant84 macrumors member

18. supinternet macrumors newbie

supinternet

My best guess is that it won't really happen anytime soon.
    seeing how their cinema displays are already top of the line, there isn't much they could really update to make it much better than it already is.

And even if they did update the line, making the cinema displays better, won't make them cheaper.

19. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

20. nanofrog macrumors G4

The panel's are different types between them too. The ACD is an IPS type, and that particular Dell is TN.

But there are other models, and other vendors. If you want to stick with some form of IPS, then you can look at the Dell 2408WFP, and it can be had for $449USD directly from Dell ATM. Hey, worth it at MSRP, but even better for $150 less. :p It's CCFL, as are most others, but they'll still "knock your socks off", and are matte. Not to mention some, such as NEC's LCD2490WUXi and Eizo Nanao's are made specifically for professionals, not consumers (which is what the 24" LCD ACD really is).

21. katyoshi macrumors 6502

I believe it is a good deal refurbished. True about the add up of peripherals. such as a camera, microphone, and speakers. Speakers aren't all that bad, when they're loud, the sound is so crisp still yet. If you want bass, get a USB subwoofer.

22. camgrant84 macrumors member

No, the Dell I linked is an IPS monitor. It is their best monitor at the moment

23. camgrant84 macrumors member

I agree, the apple is a VERY nice looking display. But from what I was reading the LED brightness makes it near impossible to calibrate well..

Also, the apple doesn't come close to the dell in terms of connectivity...

Still, I can't decide which one I would buy

24. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

25. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

So I'm planning on buying my mac with an apple screen in about 3 years. Does anyone think that it will go down in price? Or be improved, and how? Hmm