Apple Cinema HD Display Power Adapter

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Makwak, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Makwak macrumors member

So yeah the power adapter not working. Can it be fixed at all or should I try to get a replacement?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. Makwak thread starter macrumors member

Not powering the unit. I checked the screen with diff one and its fine.

4. OrganMusic macrumors 6502

On this subject -- I just bought a nice used 30" ACD - HD with the big power brick. It works great but I just have one slight concern. The power brick makes faint high-pitched sounds when the display is plugged in but now powered on (i.e. computer sleeping). Is this a bad omen or nothing to worry about?

I ask because I had a power brick for an external hard disk start doing the same thing before it died.

5. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Since you are asking the question, the answer is 'try to get a replacement'. :)

A.

6. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

There are plenty of them on eBay ... some even new!

Also ... try powering it up without any of the monitor USB or FireWire ports connected to your computer (i.e. just the video connector).

7. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

They are pretty expensive. I bought a used one for my 23" and it was $100.

8. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Yes, they are kind of rare. I wonder how long mine will last - I keep it standing on end so it runs cooler, but...

A.

9. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

I have a 20 and 23". Both of them bought used and both had Power Supply issues. I don't use the 20" anymore (in the garage), but the 23" is connected to my Thunderbolt.

I wound up buying the biggest power supply possible (the one that powers the 30") since that seems to have the best longevity. The other broken one I sold on eBay (as broken) to recoup some of my costs.