Apple Cinema vs Panasonic Viera TV

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by elolaugesen, Apr 28, 2013.

1. elolaugesen macrumors regular

My configation Late 2012 Mac mini i7 2.3 16meg Osx 10.8.3 all fixes applied.
    Apple Cinema 20 inch.... with DVI connections Panasonic Viera LCD two years old (not the cheap model)
    Profile app DATACOLOR Spyder Pro

Ran a test as we are late in watching a TV show and wanted to see it on a larger screen. all was fine through HDMI directly. Colors good. But decided to Color manage screen so I could see what the image from my real work would look like.

Scary. results sRGB Gamut Panasonic 99% Cinema 98%
    AdobeRGB Gamut Panasonic 77% Cinema 77%.

I was shocked to see the similarities in the final result of the charts.
    I reran to see if I made an error? none that I could find.
    This is after reading all the horror stories about crushed whites, etc etc..
    Only answer I have is the better quality Panasonic that I bought twice the price of cheaper models.

Any thoughts? This is after reading all the horror stories about crushed whites, etc etc.

cheers elo

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What are we supposed to discern from these four numbers?

3. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

4. elolaugesen thread starter macrumors regular

I was expecting my apple cinema to be better than a tv.
    I did not expect nor did some other folks with photo and art background expect to see TV's with this good a a color gamut.
    Also some folks on the Mac mini forums have serious problems/quality issues with HDMI connections.
    I only used the TV to see a special show. Thought I would do a test at the same time.
    Yes - I know to get better specs I should buy a much better monitor. The real good ones cost lot more money. Hard to justify for me.

Please note I had originally posted this on the Mac mini forum but the moderator moved to the Mac Peripherals forum.

cheers elo

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Two points:
    1. A monitor is a peripheral and not a Mac mini. Therefore, the admin was correct.
    2. You cannot convey useful information about a monitor using only two numbers.

6. elolaugesen thread starter macrumors regular

I also advised the moderator he was right in moving it.
    I personally did not intend this to be on this obviously very technical forum, as it was intended for another forum where many macmini users are having problems with hdmi, colours and other monitor issues.
    I only intended to say IT WORKS.

I will as of now sign off from this MAC Peripherals forum.

7. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

If you attach TVs via HDMI, they expect something like BluRay players or gaming consoles, and that's how they treat the picture. In severe cases, you'll even get double lines and stuff like that with i.e. THX modes. Looks great for movies, but not so much for productivity. "Crushed whites" is also something that can look great stylistically on movies while being completely unsuitable for productivity.
    That's why you're supposed to use a computer monitor.

And if your new HDTV covers the same gamut as an ACD, it only speaks for its quality, does it not?

8. blanka macrumors 68000

Even if your TV has crushed whites, if you calibrate OSX, you can compensate for that and reach near perfect sRGB anyway. It will cost you a few of the 256 steps from black to white, but will you notice that?
    What's also important with TV's and Monitors: do they support the right framerates? You're Cinema Display will make a mess of Blu Ray as that one is often 23.976 fps, where your TV may be able to support that refresh natively.

9. elolaugesen thread starter macrumors regular

thank you for the comments.. did not think of blue ray etc etc...

cheers elo