Apple Claims That Jail-Breaking Is Illegal

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bradl, Feb 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Graciously stealing this from /. Enjoy.

Fair Use laws come into play with this. Apple says that it interferes with the functionality of the software, which could be a DMCA violation. EFF says that if you can JB and add more functionality to it, it's Fair Use.

Endgadget has another really good write-up about this.

BL.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is a non issue.

What this means is, Apple doesn't want people buying iPhones, changing the software, and re-selling them at a profit. That's a perfectly reasonable desire for Apple to have. Doing this will help them if they decide to go after people like that.

I'll eat my iMac if we EVER see Apple do a single legal thing to people who buy an iPhone and then jailbrake it themselves. For everyone here who enjoys that, I seriously doubt this will change anything for them.

I think this quote says it best:

3. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Maybe if Apple made any effort whatsoever to allow users to customize ANYTHING on the iPhone, fewer people would Jailbreak.

Like that will happen.:rolleyes:

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Oh, thanks for heads up Apple. Here I was thinking that I actually owned my iPhone. Guess not. That $299 I paid out must have been a bad dream.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Just because you own an iPod doesn't mean you're entitled to all the music you want.

I don't know the legality of all this, but ownership of a product doesn't mean you aren't breaking the law by doing something like jailbreaking. This is mostly true with software stuff since most illegal activites in technology are software-driven.

Still, I think what someone said about Apple just not wanting people to jailbreak and then sell at a profit is their main deal.

6. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

I think that the parallel that you're trying to draw doesn't really exist...

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you buy a car, you can soup it up with extras like bigger engine, better seats, add gps, etc, and sell it at a profit. In fact, there are places where you can buy souped up ipods/iphones with custom-painted cases. If you can do that with hardware, why should software be any different, really? It's not like Apple didn't get paid for their software, when we buy the iPhone, the price theoretically includes both hardware and software. So we bought it, we should be free to change it and resell it for profit, if we want. And yes, I know that's not what current copyright laws say, but I'm just thinking the laws might be wrong-headed about this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.