Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today confirmed that up to 32 items can be added to the Find My app on the iPhone and iPad, up from a previous limit of 16.

Find-My-AirPods-Feature.jpg

Apple revealed this information in a support document updated today:
You can add up to 32 items in Find My. In addition to AirTag and the third-party Find My network accessories in the Items tab, AirPods Max count as one item, AirPods and AirPods Pro (1st generation) count as two items, and AirPods Pro (2nd generation) count as three items.
We confirmed that Apple increased the item limit starting with iOS 16 and iPadOS 16, but the change was not reflected on Apple's website until now.

Items that count towards the limit include AirTags, AirPods, newer MagSafe Wallets, select Beats headphones, third-party accessories with Find My support, and more, according to Apple. Once the items are added to the app, users can track the location of each one on a map across the iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

Some models of AirPods are considered multiple items due to each individual earbud and charging case being counted separately.

(Thanks, Nicolás Álvarez!)

Article Link: Apple Clarifies How Many Items Can Be Tracked in Find My

Last edited:
Reactions: KeithBN and Lahmy88

DigitalAR

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2022
I have 2 airtags, find my chipolo wallet and that's it...

everyone else in the family has 1 air tag and a pair of AirPods... do those count?

Is the 32 limit on Find My devices that aren't Apple products?

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
What about shared items,do they count against just the owner or everyone they are shared with?
The way it is described above, I assume they also count. As it says you can track 32 items in total in the Find My app.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Considering how expensive Apple products really are, limiting Find My tracking is silly. Only a handful of people could get 32 trackable Apple devices.

The real problem is device handover. Sometimes old devices is still stuck with the old Find My account, cluttering the list of devices.

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
I get it but it’s still strange that the AirPod pro 2 count as 3 separate items while the AirPod Max counts as one. I guess they are counting each EarPod and the case as a separate item, I get it but still just seems off.

Reactions: Le Big Mac

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
After 8 of my own, I added one each shared by my mother and sister.

Then they all disappeared from my daily use standard user account on my Mac and iPhone in September or so.

They were still present on my watch until recently. Now disappeared in December.

Only place still shown is in my admin acct on my Mac which I only use for installs.

I stopped submitting feedback after each public beta update because it may feels like a black hole of no action.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Considering how expensive Apple products really are, limiting Find My tracking is silly. Only a handful of people could get 32 trackable Apple devices.

The real problem is device handover. Sometimes old devices is still stuck with the old Find My account, cluttering the list of devices.

Come on. 1 iPhone + 31 AirTags is not that expensive 😀

And you can easily delete old devices from the app by swiping left on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Radeon85

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC

You're assuming the limitation is arbitrary. I suspect it's a Bluetooth / networking limitation. 32 is pretty dark high for most people. That's a family of 4 with 8 devices each.

If Apple didn't impose a limit, and the tech couldn't keep tracking accurate, the situation would be way worse.

votdfak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
The main problem I had and what made me come back to iPhone was inability to track Airpods if you don't own iPhone or iPad. You cannot register/add your Airpods to your Apple ID and you cannot track using Mac.

alayal

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2015
I wish you could share AirPods as you do AirTags to remove the tracking warning. Also I really wish apple made more accessories with MagSafe and find my support. I imagine a future MagSafe battery pack or a Magic Mouse for example. It is great to see the battery is the AirPods Pro 2 in the iOS widget even when they are not connected, they can charge with Apple Watch chargers, qi, qi2 and MagSafe. Best apple accessory in years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.