Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS 14.5 includes a feature that lets users select a specific music service to use with Siri, with the options including third-party services like Spotify in addition to Apple Music.

siri-choose-music-service.jpg

Several reports have referred to this as a feature that allows a user to select a default streaming music service, including our own, but Apple today told TechCrunch that the option is a bit more nuanced than a simple default music toggle.

There is no option to choose a music service that will be selected every time, with Apple instead using Siri intelligence. Siri will learn from your listening habits and the music selection process will improve over time. If you always ask Siri to select Spotify, for example, Spotify will be the default, but you can also change it in the future.

To be clear, when asking Siri to play a song in Spotify in iOS 14.5, it is not setting it as the "default," with Apple clarifying because the company does not want users to be confused if Siri asks again for your preferences in the future.

siri-choose-audio-apps.jpg

Siri will learn your preferences for all types of audio content rather than just music. It will let you open podcasts in Apple Podcasts or a third-party podcasts app, and let you choose a specific audiobook app if you listen to audiobooks.

Siri offers up a list of audio apps that you have installed whenever you make a content request, and that choice will dictate Siri's behavior going forward, but Siri may ask again in the future and even when a preferred audio option has been selected, it can be changed by asking for a different app. If you've selected Spotify, for example, but want to swap to Apple Music, you can say "Hey Siri, play [song] in Apple Music."

Apple has been improving the Siri audio request feature throughout the beta, and the third beta refines the dialogs for app selection. App developers are able to choose participate in the Siri app selection feature by making their apps available as an option.

The Siri app selection feature will be available to everyone when iOS 14.5 launches this spring.

Article Link: Apple Clarifies How Siri Music Service Settings Work in iOS 14.5

Reactions: fat jez

midkay

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
That’s actually pretty cool. It seems like a more fair and reasonable solution than just picking a permanent default. Less work for the user, and it can be more flexible, for example if you tend to use one audio app at home and one at work.

Comment

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
I don’t use Apple Music, I never have - I’ve never ever opened the app, it’s filed in the folder I set up holding all the other junk I never use.

i just want some magic method to use Spotify as my audio every single time. So, when I get into the car and my iPhone connects via Bluetooth, it automatically starts playing Spotify (and whatever I was listening to) rather than trying to connect to Apple Music and showing „Unknown Artist, Unknown Track“ because there is nothing there to play and my iPhone defaults to Apple Music every. single. time.

Same for swiping down the Control Centre and trying to press play; it often (unless I’ve been using Spotify very recently) tries to play something from Apple Music, which of course, does nothing as there’s no content there.

How hard can it be?

Comment

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
This should be an option in the UI. Classic apple though introducing “power user” (for them) features in a super hokey way

Comment

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
I don’t use Apple Music, I never have - I’ve never ever opened the app, it’s filed in the folder I set up holding all the other junk I never use.

i just want some magic method to use Spotify as my audio every single time. So, when I get into the car and my iPhone connects via Bluetooth, it automatically starts playing Spotify (and whatever I was listening to) rather than trying to connect to Apple Music and showing „Unknown Artist, Unknown Track“ because there is nothing there to play and my iPhone defaults to Apple Music every. single. time.

Same for swiping down the Control Centre and trying to press play; it often (unless I’ve been using Spotify very recently) tries to play something from Apple Music, which of course, does nothing as there’s no content there.

How hard can it be?
Have you tried deleting the Music app off your phone? That may prevent CC or your car from defaulting to it.

Comment

sub150

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2018

How hard can it be?

It's really hard when you have a conflict of interest with your hardware being tied to in-house services. I have the same issue with my car...just want to it to play Spotify when I start it which is what was playing the last time I shut off my car 4 hours ago.

Reactions: chriscl
Comment

RedTheReader

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2019
I do think there's merit to this. Users should be able to seamlessly integrate other music apps like Spotify as well as Apple does with their app. I'm currently getting a free Pandora premium account and it sucks on the Apple Watch and on HomePod you have to finish every request with "... on pandora".
I read this post not 30 minutes ago and then this article drops. I guess it's true what they say…

Last edited:
Comment

ececlv

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014

How hard can it be?
Cant a shortcut automation do this already? I think You can set triggers based on Bluetooth connections

Reactions: zeezun
Comment

Jamalien

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
Cover themselves with the Spotify lawsuit whilst ensuring that Siri will in most cases stay defaulted to Apple Music, unless of course you make a conceited and endured effort to specify "with Spotify" after every song request lol. (Which a lot of people won't bother to do)

• Disagree
Reactions: Tech for Kings
Comment

fat jez

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
this is mostly good given I just switched back from Android to iPhone and use my phone with Carplay. Google Assistant used to be triggered from a button on my steering wheel so I could get it to control Spotify. The same button works with Siri, but I don't have Apple Music.

Comment

bwayne

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2021

How hard can it be?
I guess it depends on your vehicle. In my car (BMW) you select Spotify as the music source from your connected iPhone (on the vehicle’s touch display), and it remains that way. When I get in the vehicle, it starts playing automatically. The screen shows Artist and Track , and the song’s artwork.

Actually it’s annoying sometimes...

Comment

Alan-in-NC

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
North Carolina
I live in a remote area where cell reception is spotty, so I wish Apple would have "My Library only" option. It's gets old to keep telling Siri to play everything 'from my library'.

Comment

WiseAJ

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
I'm sure full default music app selection will becoming in a future major iOS release like 15 or 16 for you weirdos that like spotify.

It surely takes time to untangle every default to Music hook that is in iOS and replace it with directions to check for which app is set as default.

Comment

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I live in a remote area where cell reception is spotty, so I wish Apple would have "My Library only" option. It's gets old to keep telling Siri to play everything 'from my library'.

My guess is this (contra to the whining up thread) is why Apple have chosen this approach. With various music services, podcast services, news services, and local libraries, that could easily balloon to a whole lot of toggles. This way, in theory, the implementation could be smart enough to know that when you ask for say NPR, one thing happens, but when you ask for music something else happens.

Comment

Rochy Bay

Suspended
Apr 5, 2016
Cupertino, CA

iOS 14.5 includes a feature that lets users select a specific music service to use with Siri, with the options including third-party services like Spotify in addition to Apple Music.

siri-choose-music-service.jpg

Several reports have referred to this as a feature that allows a user to select a default streaming music service, including our own, but Apple today told TechCrunch that the option is a bit more nuanced than a simple default music toggle.

There is no option to choose a music service that will be selected every time, with Apple instead using Siri intelligence. Siri will learn from your listening habits and the music selection process will improve over time. If you always ask Siri to select Spotify, for example, Spotify will be the default, but you can also change it in the future.

To be clear, when asking Siri to play a song in Spotify in iOS 14.5, it is not setting it as the "default," with Apple clarifying because the company does not want users to be confused if Siri asks again for your preferences in the future.

siri-choose-audio-apps.jpg

Siri will learn your preferences for all types of audio content rather than just music. It will let you open podcasts in Apple Podcasts or a third-party podcasts app, and let you choose a specific audiobook app if you listen to audiobooks.

Siri offers up a list of audio apps that you have installed whenever you make a content request, and that choice will dictate Siri's behavior going forward, but Siri may ask again in the future and even when a preferred audio option has been selected, it can be changed by asking for a different app. If you've selected Spotify, for example, but want to swap to Apple Music, you can say "Hey Siri, play [song] in Apple Music."

Apple has been improving the Siri audio request feature throughout the beta, and the third beta refines the dialogs for app selection. App developers are able to choose participate in the Siri app selection feature by making their apps available as an option.

The Siri app selection feature will be available to everyone when iOS 14.5 launches this spring.

Article Link: Apple Clarifies How Siri Music Service Settings Work in iOS 14.5
Yes, give more of your data and personal life so Apple can learn from you and analyze you. uhhmm no thanks.

Comment

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
Ok, so it’s a Siri-exclusive feature that hates offline music playback. Got it.

I hate Siri with a passion. Guess I have to accept that this “switch default music app” feature does not exist at all. Shame.

On top of Apple Watch unlock iPhone feature not working, I don’t feel iOS 14.5 brings anything new.

Comment

martyjmclean

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2018
Sydney, NSW

How hard can it be?
All you need to do is delete Apple Music. When I get in my car it either plays Spotify or Apple Podcasts, whichever I was last playing.

Comment

ktecac

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2014
Is there a reason why we can't just choose to have a default OR the 'smart' select apple proposes here? This seems kinda like they are just trolling Spotify lol.

Reactions: Rochy Bay
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.