Apple Classic Buckle durability

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by doboy, Jul 23, 2015.

1. doboy macrumors 68000

For owners of the Apple leather loop, how durable is it? Specifically the black and brown ones. From what I've seen and felt at the Apple store they seem too soft to last. Thanks!

2. fireman13 macrumors 6502

With the watch having only been out for a few months, I don't think anyone is going to be able answer your question honestly. Testing durability is something that takes time and a few months just isn't quite enough

3. doboy thread starter macrumors 68000

I guess I wanted some opinions from people who had them for several months. However, I was at Apple store today and after playing with the loop for a while I actually prefer the classic buckle now :) So I guess I want opinions from classic buckle owners.

4. dokindo macrumors regular

I have had the black classic buckle for almost 3 months. It is very durable. I wear it every day, keep the watch on while sweating in the gym, and even have taken it in the pool a few times. It looks as good as new!

5. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

I haven't had my black classic buckle that long yet, only just over a month. I do switch it off with other bands as well. I will say that I love the feel, and thickness of the leather. It's a good fit on me strapped on. It's a nice quality leather and I like the buckle Apple used--smooth curved finish that I don't feel scratches surfaces you lay your wrist on. Feel it can go from casual to dress easily. The adapters on mine work well and the fit in the watch base is good. No regrets. In fact I wish they offered this band in other colors as some of the 3rd party knockoffs are pretty poor.

6. doboy, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015

doboy thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks! Wow, swimming with it. What kind of treatment/conditioner do you use on it?
    Thanks! I wish they would release some nice dark brown one and maybe navy one too. Not a fan of the brown and blue color on the loop.

7. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I've used this on my Classic Buckle and it still looks fantastic. I've owned it since launch and it has even gotten pretty wet a few times.

8. doboy thread starter macrumors 68000

Good to know. Thanks!

9. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Bump for long-term opinions.

I received some extra cash for Christmas and am trying to decide whether I want to dress mine up with the Classic Buckle or just keep using the [admittedly excellent] Sport strap.

Or maybe the Milanese mesh instead…

10. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I was in the same boat earlier this morning. I ended up going with the Black Leather Loop. I wanted to go with the Saddle Brown Buckle, but the LL won in the end. I love my Buckle and would say go with that.

11. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

It's been more than a few months. April through December is 8 months approx. A few is 3 by most standards.

12. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I returned my classic buckle. I had the new version with the two tone black and brown leather. The black leather on the top felt cheap to me like foam, but the brown leather on the bottom felt nicer. Just didn't feel it was worth the price. Am wishing Apple releases a 38mm leather loop.

13. alFR macrumors 68020

He wrote that in July.

14. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Yeah, I kinda like the leather loops, too. I think they're appropriately innovative to pair with the AW.

I'm not expecting the Classic Buckle to survive for years and years. Leather straps are normally considered as consumables in the watch world anyway. If it craps out, I could just use the attachment piece and get a Hirsch strap, too.

15. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

A waterproof leather band with deployant will ensure almost lifetime of use, with reasonable normal use included washing, showering, swimming with it. Deployant ensure leather band does not bend like normal bucket, specially for someone like to use different holes for different length in different situation.

Here is my 24mm 100M waterproof Di-Modell Jumbo with BHD deployant, and my daily work Redwing 866 pull-on boots. They are perfect match for work.

AW-Shoe.jpg

16. Beards macrumors 6502

Beards

That is an exquisite strap. I'm in the UK but do you have a link to purchasing?

17. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

18. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

19. nicho macrumors 68000

with that sort of adapter? no.

20. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

I have the Apple adapter. Well it's the same size as the Apple one

21. nicho macrumors 68000

then, no. it would look weird and slide about.

some springbar adapters are sized for 22mm bands.

22. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

Ok thanks

23. nicho macrumors 68000

i wish i hadn't dipped into this thread now... i'm having to weigh up putting my own copy of @jasie02 's band together, or just going for the brown classic buckle

24. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

It will look narrower than the adapter if you use 22mm, not sure about 26mm, it might work but need to try it out. If you use spring load adapter similar as Click, which normally take 22mm band, it will look good.

Personally, I will never wear a watch with mismatch band/adapter, too narrow band or too wide squeezed in band never look professional.