Apple Classic from 1991?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by LongDistance, Sep 28, 2011.

1. LongDistance macrumors newbie

Hey guys, me and another grad student at my university found an old Apple Classic in our psychology lab which we think is from 1991. It belongs to our professor and we asked him is we could possibly sell it to raise some money for our psychology research lab. He agreed so I've got a few questions and you guys seem to be the experts. Maybe you won't mind throwing in your two cents. :)

Here's what we have: The computer itself, a cord which I think would have gone to the printer or keyboard, original documents from Mac system 7 (installation, warranty, Why the Brown Box documents, getting started, etc.), and up to 7 System 7 Software floppy disks.

I've checked to see what these might be going for on ebay as I know some Apple collectors are always looking for the older computers to add to their collection. I've seen some varying prices and since we have the installation disks, which are likely worth more than the random documents and their respective boxes they came in, we're not sure what the computer + listed accessories might be worth. Does anyone have any ideas? Also, we fired up the Classic, though we didn't have the keyboard or mouse, and it seems to work just fine. There's still stuff on it from whoever used it to run statistics last but it turned on and started up without any hiccups.

For further reference, this seems to be the model I think we have. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_Classic_II

Thanks!

2. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

They're worth $50-100, although most of them at those prices include a mouse and keyboard. I see only one that ended in the last two weeks on eBay that didn't have a keyboard.

Here's a System 7 set that sold for $30 by itself:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280735603532&category=51046

Make sure to take a picture of it turned on, and use that as your main gallery photo if you put it in eBay, it will draw more traffic and get higher bids than a photo of it off. Also, offer local pickup for free, you might get a few extra bids if you're in a large area and people can save on shipping.

Good luck.

3. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

4. finkmacunix macrumors regular

The Mac Classic has a secret Boot SSD built in…

5. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Not quite. The hidden system was only on the Classic anyway, not the classic II, and it was built into ROM, which is not the same thing as an SSD. (It was also an oddity as it was System 6.0.3, and the Classic shipped with 6.0.6). Still a pretty cool hidden feature though.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

You could get $100-$120 for it if you had the mouse and keyboard... Not sure what you'd get without them though.

7. LongDistance thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies, guys! We're going to give it a shot. We've got nothing to lose really. So whether it's $50 or $200 it's still a profit for the lab. :)

8. finkmacunix macrumors regular

Yeah, But "Secret Boot SSD" sounds cooler than "Internal ROM Startup Disk"

9. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Whether it sounds cooler isn't an issue, as "secret boot SSD" is still technically incorrect (especially as that implies that you can write to the boot volume in ROM, which in fact, you can't).

10. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

SSD = Solid State Drive.

The ROM is solid state, and it mounts as a drive. Therefore, it is an SSD. Just not in the common usage of the term.

11. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Well technically it doesn't mount as a drive, it mounts as a boot volume, which is different.