Apple Classroom Solution

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ed91, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Ed91 macrumors 6502

Hey Guys,

I've been tasked with looking into the feasibility of setting up an "Apple Solution" for a new primary school classroom (probable ages of 7-11 and a class size of no more than 7) and was wondering if you guys have any advice or ideas.

At the moment I'm thinking:

1. HDTV + Apple TV for Airplay Mirroring.
    2. Several iPads, with one for the teacher.
    3. a few Mac Minis, one linked up to the HDTV so the teacher can VNC into it from the iPad.

Now for some questions:

Airplay: How does the Apple TV handle multiple Airplay requests? ie, the teacher is mirroring and a child makes a request from their iPad? Can requests be disabled in accessibility if necessary?

Printing: I can't see a huge need for it, but would it be possible to setup an ethernet printer to a win 2003 server, and share it with the iPads? I think Fingerprint would enable this, but I want to be sure. Can airprinting be disabled on iPads if needed?

Mac Mini: Can a Mac Mini run with a screen and a HDMI display mirroring the same content (not extending the desktop)?

I think those are my questions for now. Answers would be appreciated, and also any ideas you guys may have!

Thanks!

2. afd macrumors 6502a

I want a similar setup in my class too. Though the apple TV and iPads are causing issues with our ICT support.

You can set up an password for airplay, maybe don't give it out and put it in yourself if a class member wants to Airplay?

Printing works very well with Printopia, install that on a mini and any printers connected to it can print from iOS devices on the same network.

Don't know about your screen mirroring question but don't see why not.

3. Ed91 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for letting me know about the password protection on Airplay. That sounds perfect.

Printopia is an option, but I'd much prefer the printer to be connected over ethernet to a server. This saves having to leave an unused computer running just in case something needs to be printed, having to wait for the machine to start up before printing, or reports of the printer not working when the connected computer isn't turned on. I think FingerPrint would do it, but I want to make sure.

So far it sounds like a pretty good setup. My biggest concern now is kids with expensive equipment :rolleyes:

4. afd macrumors 6502a

Just had a look at Fingerprint website, looks like you install it on a mac or PC, so it's like Printopia? What about an AirPrint Printer? Then you aren't relying on leaving a computer on.