Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With today's introduction of iPhone 4, Apple now finds itself with existing stock of the 16 GB and 32 GB iPhone 3GS models. Consequently, the company has dropped prices on those discontinued models to $149 for the 16 GB model and $199 for the 32 GB model. Prices are valid with a new two-year agreement with AT&T.

000146-iphone_3gs_clearance.png

Apple's online stores ran dry of the low-end 8 GB iPhone 3G several weeks ago, with AT&T following suit late last week.

Apple's clearance prices on iPhone 3GS models may not be the best deal available, however, as Wal-Mart dropped the 16 GB model to $97 late last month. It is not entirely clear what Wal-Mart's plans are for clearing any remaining stock and bringing in the iPhone 4 are now that an official launch announcement has been made.

For its part, Apple will be maintaing its own $99 price point previously held by the 8 GB iPhone 3G by releasing a new iPhone 3GS similarly carrying only 8 GB of storage. While Apple almost certainly could have squeezed in 16 GB of storage at that price point, it elected not to do so, presumably to maintain differentiation from iPhone 4.

Article Link: Apple Clearing Out Remaining 16 GB and 32 GB iPhone 3GS Stock

UCF-ENG

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
These are the price point that should have been used for iPhone 4 IMO...
$99 16 GB iPhone 3GS
$149 16 GB iPhone 4
$199 32 GB iPhone 4

and then they can add another model right before Christmas:
$299 64 GB iPhone 4

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
It could be the beginning of Apple's creation of a diverge between high-end phones and low-end phones.

Remember all the rumors last year that Apple was going to start making regular cell phones? Perhaps their plan is to hold the 3GS down while allowing the newer iPhones get better and better every year. Four years from now, the 3GS could still be around - and by then, it will be considered "just a basic phone."

When the iPhone5 (for example) comes out, the iPhone4 would not become the basic phone. It would be discontinued and replaced by the iPhone5. The 3GS may receive some enhancements, but it would remain the lower-end model, while the iPhone4 is discontinued.

By the way, the MacRumorsLive.com live streaming of the WWDC was excellent on my iPhone3G. Thank you. :)

Attachments

• WWDC2010_2.JPG
    WWDC2010_2.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 242
  • WWDC2010_1.JPG
    WWDC2010_1.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 255

iMacoo7

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Destin, Florida
Kind of confused and need a little clarification

Ok im sort of confused about a few things.
Since Walmart is carrying the iPhone, that means that they will be carrying the IP4 when it comes out on the 24th Correct?
So if people wanted to camp out, it could be done at Walmart as well then huh? Im trying to figure out where my camp out location is going to be. Because if Walmart is going to carry the IP4 then I can camp out inside (24 hour wally world) instead of right across the street at the ATT store.

I have a friend that I will be camping out with. His first time doing it! lol!!

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Since Walmart is carrying the iPhone, that means that they will be carrying the IP4 when it comes out on the 24th Correct?
So if people wanted to camp out, it could be done at Walmart as well then huh? Im trying to figure out where my camp out location is going to be. Because if Walmart is going to carry the IP4 then I can camp out inside (24 hour wally world) instead of right across the street at the ATT store.

Your friend is losing his Apple camping virginity! The iPhone 4 sure is a looker!

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
It could be the beginning of Apple's creation of a diverge between high-end phones and low-end phones.

Remember all the rumors last year that Apple was going to start making regular cell phones? Perhaps their plan is to hold the 3GS down while allowing the newer iPhones get better and better every year. Four years from now, the 3GS could still be around - and by then, it will be considered "just a basic phone."

When the iPhone5 (for example) comes out, the iPhone4 would not become the basic phone. It would be discontinued and replaced by the iPhone5. The 3GS may receive some enhancements, but it would remain the lower-end model, while the iPhone4 is discontinued.

By the way, the MacRumorsLive.com live streaming of the WWDC was excellent on my iPhone3G. Thank you. :)

While I do think Apple will eventually have more than one type of phone (much like they do with iPods), I don't think this is how Apple will do it. As we've seen, Apple has periodically dropped hardware support in software in order to 'move on'. The older hardware literally can't record video/multitask/etc. without it sucking, and I'm sure the trend will continue. Keeping old hardware around makes it harder for Apple to code 'for the future'.

room237

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Queens, NYC

Why don't you just order it online? It will be delivered to you on the 24th. You could be camping out on your couch waiting for UPS.

Edit: Besides, there are advantages to buy directly from Apple.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
But with the iPhone 4 out, who would want the 3GS? For $49 more you get the same 16GB with a better display, new design an other incredible things.

Some people simply do not have the money. They might barely afford the 3GS, but the extra $49 might be out of their reach.

By your logic we could say that "why buy this $99 gizmo when just $50 more would give you so much more". And then we could continue with "why buy that $150 gizmo, when you could get a lot more by paying just $50 bucks more". And pretty soon that $99 gizmo has turned in to $300 gizmo. You have to draw the line somewhere.

tigertazz

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
How are apple going to advertise the 3Gs now? Currently it's advertised as
"the fastest and most powerful iPhone"
will it become
"just an iPhone"

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Why don't you just order it online? It will be delivered to you on the 24th. You could be camping out on your couch waiting for UPS.

Edit: Besides, there are advantages to buy directly from Apple.

I'm a lazy sod, so I am going to be doing just that. :D I love the sound of couch camping!

I am going to give my original iPhone a good cleaning on the 24th, and a ceremonious replacement to the box from which it came. :)

DaveF

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
NoVA
Some people simply do not have the money. They might barely afford the 3GS, but the extra $49 might be out of their reach.

By your logic we could say that "why buy this $99 gizmo when just $50 more would give you so much more". And then we could continue with "why buy that $150 gizmo, when you could get a lot more by paying just $50 bucks more". And pretty soon that $99 gizmo has turned in to $300 gizmo. You have to draw the line somewhere.

Anyone buying an iPhone can afford that $49 one way or the other. If you can't swing $2/mo over two years equivalent cost, you certainly can't afford an iPhones monthly contract. :)

Rather, it's simply about priorities on how you spend your money. Some people don't value those extra features and want to save a few dollars. My sister, who bought the $99 iPhone 3G thinks I'm crazy for wanting to buy a new $299 iPhone 4 -- and the cost is trivial to her either way.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
But with the iPhone 4 out, who would want the 3GS? For $49 more you get the same 16GB with a better display, new design an other incredible things.

And its the stuff we don't know yet that makes the old phone not worth even getting, but i am sure some people will buy it and give them selves reasons of why did really did not want the new iphone 4.

There is always enough people.

Mugambo

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2009

With today's introduction of iPhone 4, Apple now finds itself with existing stock of the 16 GB and 32 GB iPhone 3GS models. Consequently, the company has dropped prices on those discontinued models to $149 for the 16 GB model and $199 for the 32 GB model. Prices are valid with a new two-year agreement with AT&T.

000146-iphone_3gs_clearance.png

Apple's online stores ran dry of the low-end 8 GB iPhone 3G several weeks ago, with AT&T following suit late last week.

Apple's clearance prices on iPhone 3GS models may not be the best deal available, however, as Wal-Mart dropped the 16 GB model to $97 late last month. It is not entirely clear what Wal-Mart's plans are for clearing any remaining stock and bringing in the iPhone 4 are now that an official launch announcement has been made.

For its part, Apple will be maintaing its own $99 price point previously held by the 8 GB iPhone 3G by releasing a new iPhone 3GS similarly carrying only 8 GB of storage. While Apple almost certainly could have squeezed in 16 GB of storage at that price point, it elected not to do so, presumably to maintain differentiation from iPhone 4.

Article Link: Apple Clearing Out Remaining 16 GB and 32 GB iPhone 3GS Stock

Title of this thread is misleading, Apple is not "clearing out". They are selling the remaining iphones faster still for a 2 year contract and using you to make way for the newer iphone which will be $50 extra compared to the current prices + ALL new features.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
And its the stuff we don't know yet that makes the old phone not worth even getting, but i am sure some people will buy it and give them selves reasons of why did really did not want the new iphone 4.

There is always enough people.

You should also remember, a lot of people don't care about all the iP4 features. Some people are completely happy having an iPod Touch that can make phone calls too. The iP3GS doesn't suddenly become a bad phone. It still runs all the current Apps and has all the other great features that made it what it is. Including the iP4, there would only be two or three phones on the entire market any better. My dad likes the Apps (simple games like Sudoku), and knows how to use the iPhone, but has no desire for video conferencing, editing HD Video or really taken photos for that matter. And at 78, he isn't going to notice or care about the enhanced screen. The iP3GS will sell in the shadow of the iP4 the same way the iP3G sold in the shadow of the iP3GS. There is a strong market of people who don't care about the stuff we excitedly write threads about. My Dad's favorite feature about the iPhone is the big numbers for dialing as compared to a typical pad (and his Soduku).

Apple!Fre@k

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2006
Who the F in all that's holy would buy what's now such an inferior iPhone for just $50 less?!?:eek:

That's like do you want this shiny Honda Accord for $1,000 less than a brand new Porsche 911 Turbo?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.