Apple/cmd key

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gelatin, Nov 8, 2008.

?

which one do you prefer

1. apple

46.9%
  2. cmd

53.1%
  1. gelatin macrumors 6502

firstly why did they change it?
    i thought it was really nice to have the little apple on the keyboard, gutted when my laptop didnt have it :(

anyway which do you prefer and what do you call it?

i still call it apple

yeah it doesnt matter at the end of the day but its the little things like the apple key that i loved about macs

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its the command key. and always has been. never really understood calling it the 'apple' key personally even though i'm sure i have in the past.

3. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

I call it command key too but i don't get it why they removed the apple icon... It was damn pretty...

4. gelatin thread starter macrumors 6502

5. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Just made it a little less even. Definitely Command Key

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

7. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

I refer to it as the Apple key to people who aren't the most "computer savvy". The older Macs didn't have the ugly "command" written on it before, so saying hit the command key would have puzzled them.

Now, it's a no-brainer as Apple removed the Apple and slapped that ugly word on the key. :(

8. gelatin thread starter macrumors 6502

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think people who are going to use a Mac can be arsed to remember two different names for the keys. :p But then I say "Ex" instead of "10," I've yet to buy an Intel Mac, and I just bought a computer that has XP/SP3 on it, so I'm a bit of a pariah. :eek:

(Regarding the "official" name, back in the day... when I was a kid, natch, and there were two different keys on the keyboard, which we referred to as "open apple" and "closed apple," were the names really still technically command? If so, how were they differentiated? Left command and right command?)

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

My keyboard, the latest aluminum wireless one, has both the command and the apple logo on it. command is at the bottom of the key, and the apple logo is at the upper right corner.

11. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Apple key all the way. I've called it that my whole life. I was torn when Apple stopped putting the Apple on their keyboards. I never understood why they did that.

12. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

where's the option for: "who cares?"

I voted apple

13. msheldrick macrumors regular

As long as the key does what it's supposed to do, i don't care what's on it

14. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

The "Apple" was originally used in the early days of the Macintosh development, but Steve had it removed because putting the :apple: image into the menus just looked awful, and these were the days when memory was a valued resource, so the less memory used, the more memory could be used elsewhere useful.

The little Apple key sat on the keyboard for over 20 years until someone said "Hey, we don't use the Apple anymore, or ever, why don't we just get rid of it?"

And somebody agreed.

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I still call it Open Apple after the Apple ][ days.

Back when Closed Apple did something different (the "Command" on the right side of the keyboard).

16. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

dont you mean the clover leaf symbol? which is the symbol for command and is used when listing shortcuts in OS X.

17. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

I still call it the Apple Key (after the old days)

18. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

It will ALWAYS be the apple key to me. I know it's the command key, I just never refer to it that way. Anyone refer to it as butterfly? :D

19. gelatin thread starter macrumors 6502

bassas :D

20. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

lolwut?

21. portent macrumors 6502a

Only n00bs call it the "Apple key."

Serious Mac users know that the correct term (in speech) is "Command," though you should always use the ⌘ symbol in documentation.

Greybeard Apple II users can still call it "open-Apple," but never just "Apple."

22. akm3 macrumors 68020

I read a blog from one of the programmers who was at Apple at the time.

He said Steve ran in and demanded they remove the Apple logo from the key because in the menus, it listed all the commands with :apple:-This and :apple:-that, which made a zillion Apples in the menu structure, which he felt cheapened the logo (By putting it EVERYWHERE), so he said come up with something else.

They sat around thinking 'what is an icon for 'Command'?...and we have one day'.

The icon maker lady found a swedish symbol for Campsite, which is the cloverleaf symbol, and the rest is history!

http://folklore.org/StoryView.py?pr...der=Sort by Date&detail=medium&search=command

-Allen