Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Well Google is by definition an advertising company. Ever wonder why they give away Google Docs and stuff for free? They tie you into their ecosystem and sell your data. Apple uses your data to better their OS and it is not for personalized results, rather overarching fixes, like preventing Safari from crashing, giving everyone better word predictions, etc. Apple doesn't even run an advertising network anymore, only the App Store ads which are served to everyone equally.

Serious question: iAd doesn’t exist anymore?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
You people are a joke. Apple does it. "Oh, its ok." "I'm going to leave it on." "Good for them." Google does the same thing? "Oh. My. God. They are selling my information to the aliens."

Does google use differential privacy so that it’s impossible to determine where any particular piece of data comes from? Wasn’t aware.

Reactions: mw360

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
yes except this is completely anonymous, not tied to me, and is used for system reliability rather than selling to advertisers. yeah same thing, sure....
No. Google does not sell your personal data, no more than Apple does. What both companies do is use your data to sell ad slots to advertisers

Quick test. Who said the following, Google or Apple?

We may collect information such as occupation, language, zip code, area code, unique device identifier, referrer URL, location, and the time zone where a product is used so that we can better understand customer behavior and improve our products, services, and advertising.

Coli22

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2016
And soooo....the Advertising Empire strikes back - by PR spinning and smearing! Don't be fooled!

Suspended
Jun 2, 2017
You people are a joke. Apple does it. "Oh, its ok." "I'm going to leave it on." "Good for them." Google does the same thing? "Oh. My. God. They are selling my information to the aliens."

It's two completely different sets of data. One is personal data being mined while the other is technical data being mined.

mkeeley

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
Assuming you believe that opting out doesn't carry on sending any data to Apple then that's a whole lot better than Win10. However it should be opt in. It doesn't matter what sort of company they are none are to be trusted, it's strange some people still haven't learnt that. All you have is their say so that anonymous, zero proof.

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
I don't mind sharing iPhone and Safari analytics with Apple, but Maps, Health and iCloud data is my own business.

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
It's almost as though the two have completely different business models, one of which hinges on analyzing and profiting off your personal data, and the other of which does not.

thats what they tell you at least. remember you said it in 10 years when they are exposed

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
thats what they tell you at least. remember you said it in 10 years when they are exposed

Right. Turns out they only sold half as much hardware as they claimed to, and made the rest of it up in ad revenues. Or something.

Also, chemtrails.

patrixl

Suspended
Jun 19, 2009
Assuming you believe that opting out doesn't carry on sending any data to Apple then that's a whole lot better than Win10. However it should be opt in. It doesn't matter what sort of company they are none are to be trusted, it's strange some people still haven't learnt that. All you have is their say so that anonymous, zero proof.

I've installed HS once so far, and as far as I remember, it IS opt-in, there's a whole screen asking me about analytics...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.