Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the launch of iOS 17.2, Apple has outlined the Maps-related data that it is collecting in order to improve the augmented reality location function. In a new support document, Apple says that it is aiming to bolster the speed and accuracy of augmented reality features in the Maps app.

apple-maps-3d-feature.jpg

When using augmented reality features in Maps, including immersive walking directions or the refine location option, Apple collects information on "feature points" that represent the shape and appearance of stationary objects like buildings. The data does not include photos or images, and the feature points collected are not readable by a person.

According to Apple, Maps uses on-device machine learning to compare feature points to Apple Maps reference data that is sent to the iPhone. The camera filters out moving objects like people and vehicles, with Apple collecting just the feature points of stationary objects.

The comparison between the feature points and the Apple Maps reference data allows Maps to pinpoint a user location and provide detailed walking directions with AR context. Using either the AR Walking directions or Refine Location refreshes Apple's reference data to improve augmented reality accuracy.

Data that Apple collects is encrypted and not associated with an individual user or Apple ID. Apple also uses on-device machine learning to add "noise" to the feature points data to add irregular variations that prevent any "unlikely" attempt to use feature points to reconstruct an image from the data.

According to Apple, only an "extremely sophisticated attacker" that has access to the company's encoding system would be able to recreate an image from feature points, but because the data is encrypted and limited only to Apple, "an attack and recreation are extremely unlikely."

The use of AR data can be disabled to prevent Apple from collecting it. The "Improve AR Location Accuracy" toggle can be accessed in the Settings app by going to Privacy and Security and then tapping on Analytics and Improvements.

Article Link: Apple Collecting Data to Improve Augmented Reality Location Accuracy in Maps

Reactions: KeithBN

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Just let people collaborate with iPhones to scan the entire outside and then stich it together. All the people with IR and cameras can just wave their phones around when they go somewhere and boom the data will be done in no time.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
This is all great, but Maps is just sorely lacking in current business and point of interest information. I'm an enthusiastic user of Maps for navigation, but I end up looking up places in Google Maps quite frequently because Apple Maps has such spotty data. I hope Apple buys up or develops a really good database of this stuff and keeps it current because it's the one area in which Google Maps still has a huge advantage.

RealE

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2023
Just let people collaborate with iPhones to scan the entire outside and then stich it together. All the people with IR and cameras can just wave their phones around when they go somewhere and boom the data will be done in no time.
It would be nice for Apple to offer a crowd-sourced improvement of Maps.

You already can add public images to locations on Maps but it isn't a very easy or obvious process. That base of crowd-sourced images and reviews is what gives Google Maps an edge in certain cases.

eifelbube

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2020

With the launch of iOS 17.2, Apple has outlined the Maps-related data that it is collecting in order to improve the augmented reality location function. In a new support document, Apple says that it is aiming to bolster the speed and accuracy of augmented reality features in the Maps app.

apple-maps-3d-feature.jpg

When using augmented reality features in Maps, including immersive walking directions or the refine location option, Apple collects information on "feature points" that represent the shape and appearance of stationary objects like buildings. The data does not include photos or images, and the feature points collected are not readable by a person.

According to Apple, Maps uses on-device machine learning to compare feature points to Apple Maps reference data that is sent to the iPhone. The camera filters out moving objects like people and vehicles, with Apple collecting just the feature points of stationary objects.

The comparison between the feature points and the Apple Maps reference data allows Maps to pinpoint a user location and provide detailed walking directions with AR context. Using either the AR Walking directions or Refine Location refreshes Apple's reference data to improve augmented reality accuracy.

Data that Apple collects is encrypted and not associated with an individual user or Apple ID. Apple also uses on-device machine learning to add "noise" to the feature points data to add irregular variations that prevent any "unlikely" attempt to use feature points to reconstruct an image from the data.

According to Apple, only an "extremely sophisticated attacker" that has access to the company's encoding system would be able to recreate an image from feature points, but because the data is encrypted and limited only to Apple, "an attack and recreation are extremely unlikely."

The use of AR data can be disabled to prevent Apple from collecting it. The "Improve AR Location Accuracy" toggle can be accessed in the Settings app by going to Privacy and Security and then tapping on Analytics and Improvements.

Article Link: Apple Collecting Data to Improve Augmented Reality Location Accuracy in Maps
What is the point of collecting these data? So that we can get warned in time before stumbling over a fire hydrant when we are immersively walking down the street with our heads down reading location info on the iPhone screen?

randomthoughts

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2020

And this has been my concern all along. On-device processing means that disabling networking will not prevent analytical calculations on your activity. It’s a bit irrelevant if it’s on-device or off, the issue is the processing happening at all without specific user awareness or the ability to view all data being shared back to Apple or any other company running it. It’s even better for on-device processing as it distributes the processing power to the devices themselves instead of Apple or another company paying for the hardware of all the analytics it wants to calculate and consume.

• Disagree
Reactions: diego and KeithBN

dante_mr

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2023
What happens on your iPhone, stays on your iPhone

Yeah right. My take: if it was going to collect information either way might as well use Google Maps
The data collection is opt-in.

iPhone users have to specifically turn the feature on. I just tried doing it and it's a couple of menus in, so it's not like you could do it accidentally either.

TomaxXamot

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver, BC
This is all great, but Maps is just sorely lacking in current business and point of interest information. I'm an enthusiastic user of Maps for navigation, but I end up looking up places in Google Maps quite frequently because Apple Maps has such spotty data. I hope Apple buys up or develops a really good database of this stuff and keeps it current because it's the one area in which Google Maps still has a huge advantage.
I agree. I could list so many examples of times where Maps has failed me on businesses/points of interest forcing me to go to Google Maps. It’s embarrassing how poor Maps is on this issue.

rxp

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2018
I find AR pointless if a compass and gps functions properly. Apple's compasses are so much better than any galaxy phone I've owned but I don't think they support dual frequency GPS.

My Garmin Forerunner 955 has both an excellent compass and dual frequency GPS so I always know which way to go, especially when off roads but its even easier with roads. Over engineered solution for a simple problem - fix GPS/compass imho

dante_mr

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2023
I agree. I could list so many examples of times where Maps has failed me on businesses/points of interest forcing me to go to Google Maps. It’s embarrassing how poor Maps is on this issue.
It's even worse anywhere non-US.

I understand why, but Maps launched like a decade ago? One would think they would at least be on par with Google Maps circa 2012 by now.

If I open up Maps now, I can easily find dozens of businesses that closed down *years* ago. Just a few months ago there was a Bucca Di Beppo listed with hours and everything. Bucca Di Beppo exited my country's market since 2018-ish if not longer.

Thankfully it's easy to report and Apple was quick to fix the mistake.

But it's just unfortunate because as an app, Apple Maps is very nice to use. I just can't use it because Google Maps is superior in almost every way.

Boy261

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2021
Dont know how USA is at the moment but europe maps are absolute garbage. Need to improve the overall data first in here, a lot of stuff is non existing or is in the wrong place. i mean you would think they should be better if they are partnered with tom tom.

The route to your destiny is sometimes wrong, making it longer, just a mess since ios 6, though much better than back then thats for sure, but i cant see them equaling or overtaking google in the next 5 years at least. Had good times with google maps native app back then, good data and good and smooth app just like apple maps.

Unfortunately, Apple has always shown little interest in community or collaborative matters, which is why Google Maps is more 'rich' in content than Apple Maps.
This is also a reason why they lack. In USA it would have a big impact, iphones are a solid 50% of the market. Here in europe less but it would still make a big difference.

Just the other day i went to a supermarket on my street with google directions but the supermarket was wrong placed ( rare to see but it also happens ) changed it in 1 minute. Fun thing google tracks and tells you how many people have searched that specific supermarket since you change it, 70k people already searched and it just took 1 person to do it, helped that many.

Not saying people have to basically work for them, but little changes here and there are usefull. Though at the state apple maps is now you basically would have to work for them for the map to be in order. Apple just needs to get it right.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
The route to your destiny is sometimes wrong, making it longer, just a mess since ios 6, though much better than back then thats for sure, but i cant see them equaling or overtaking google in the next 5 years at least. Had good times with google maps native app back then, good data and good and smooth app just like apple maps.
You can say that again!

Heading in to my 60th year I still rue some of the misdirections I got from Apple Maps.

😁

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
Absolutely. Trying to improve an AR feature that is of no use to anyone who is not on foot in an unfamiliar downtown area while Maps fails to even show you a business exists in the first place seems like another example of “flash over substance” from Apple. As I see it, if you live or work “downtown” where these buildings are, you don’t need AR to find your destination. If you are looking for a new small business, Maps probably won’t show it to you anyway. They’ve had how many years now working on “improving Maps”?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.