Apple Color + Gray Card

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ppc_michael, Jan 23, 2011.

1. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I'm color correcting some footage in Apple Color. In most of the locations I shot a gray card, hoping to use Color's Auto Balance to get me 90% there in the Primary grade before moving on to Secondaries.

However I didn't always entirely fill the frame with my gray card, and some of the background colors seem to be throwing off auto balance enough to be noticeable. Is there a way to have Apple Color balance off a specified region (zero it in on my card) rather than the full frame?

I can do it manually if not, but obviously this would be easer. :) Thanks!

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Color's auto balance is horrible. In a best case scenario it will still shift everything blue in my experience. The only time I push that button is when I'm looking for a laugh. ;)

Lethal

3. ppc_michael thread starter Guest

ppc_michael

That's strange, I usually have pretty accurate results when used properly with a gray card.

4. boch82 macrumors 6502

There has never been a color program where auto has worked properly. All it may help with is the proper offset degree but you still need to always adjust the amount.

5. ppc_michael thread starter Guest

ppc_michael

Obviously.

So if nobody has any answer to the original question of specifying a portion of the frame rather than the entire frame, I invite the mods to close this thread.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Don't know why this slipped my mind initially but you can go into the geometry room to scale and reframe the shot so that only the gray card is present.

Lethal