Apple.com/antenna - A Education!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stiss, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stiss macrumors 6502a

http://www.apple.com/antenna/

Wow. That's pretty decent of them!

Educating all the people who want them to defy the laws of physics.

Also has links to todays presentation and also to learn more about the $100M test labs they use!

2. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Wow even with video of the others dropping signal, very interesting.

3. GDVI macrumors regular

GDVI

Wow, if I was RIM, Samsung, or HTC I would be pissed.

4. WilliamG macrumors G3

While the videos are indeed interesting, I still don't believe Apple had any clue this was going to happen. It's a very simple fix: coating the phone antenna. It's THAT simple. The antenna really should have been located elsewhere. It's too obviously touched where it is vs other phones.

5. fender57 macrumors 6502

They had tight quarters for the bigger battery and other components, so putting it on the outside was the best option, even factoring aesthetic reasons. I agree with you that they should have coated the metal band.

6. admanimal macrumors 68040

It's a simple fix idea for people who are completely ignorant of how the phone is actually built and the exact nature of the problem. They clearly have the technology and knowledge to know if an obvious simple fix will work. The fact that they didn't coat the antenna originally and apparently are not planning to do so in the future strongly suggests that it is not, in fact, a viable solution.

On another note, it's pretty amusing that they use rubber bands to help grip the phone in their super high tech $100 million test facility.

7. kre62 macrumors 68000

The ip4 doesn't lose signal due to the antennae being blocked by the hand, as they are trying to convince us. Its lost because the antennae is bridged. Proof is the fact that you dont even have to be touching the phone in order to recreate it, you can use a house key, paperclip, etc.

So for Apple to say its "like other phones" is ludicrous. Similar results, yes. Similar cause NO.

8. WilliamG macrumors G3

Clearly. :rolleyes:

9. admanimal macrumors 68040

What's the performance of the cell phone antennae that you have engineered?

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

To the already educated that would be "an education".

11. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I appreciate not having the antenna draw radio waves directly into my head :p

12. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Exactly! That's the first thing I thought too!

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Not an issue, just don't hold them that way.

-Sent from my iPhone 4

14. chembox macrumors 6502a

Apple is only pointing fingers and acting like a six-year-old, snitching on everyone, to get themselves out of trouble.

By the way, a hardware fix is imminent, Apple is settling for free cases so consumers won't stay waiting to return their iPhone until the new 'batch' comes out before fall.

15. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Anyone besides me think the test lab looks to be from space?

16. WilliamG macrumors G3

So if I don't like a Picasso then I have no right to complain because I'm not an artist.

You're right, of course. The only solution for this issue that Apple could ever have conceived is a rubber piece that goes all the way around the phone, prevents you using your own earphones and chargers, and costs $30. Genius. Apple knew this would happen all along. :rolleyes:

17. Katanae macrumors member

Huh, my iPhone always drops from 3 bars to no service, in the video, they release the grip as soon as it reaches 1 bar, who says it wouldn't have dropped further?

18. intervenient macrumors 6502a

Only thing wrong with the site is how they're holding the phones...the antennas are placed there for a reason: NO ONE HOLDS THEM LIKE THAT

19. Kevlar macrumors 6502

They need to add what the bars for each phone are represented in terms of dB. That is the only true way to show how much attenuation occurs.

20. BoleCailey macrumors member

Well Duh! If I was Apple, I would have done the same thing. This thing is being blown way out of proportion, and that was their way of demonstrating it. I have even had regular cell phones that have come with instructions that tell you how to hold it.

Who said there was going to be a hardware fix? I doubt there will be because most people are perfectly happy with there phones, you just don't here about it because people who are happy have no reason to complain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.