Apple.com Pre-order Full Price AT&T SIM Locked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shortcut3d, Sep 19, 2014.

1. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

I received my pre-order placed through the iPhone Apple Store app this evening. I paid full retail price through the app for an AT&T iPhone 6 Plus 64GB Silver and expected it to be unlocked. When I did the restore, I did not receive the congratulations unlock message.

Any suggestion to get this resolved?

2. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

I read earlier that AT&T said it had to be on a plan for 60 days. That could very well be wrong. Your best bet is to ask AT&T.

3. nardow12 macrumors newbie

Some people claim that if you let Apple link the phone to your ATT account, then it will be locked, even if you paid full price for it. But if you got it as 'Device ONLY', then it's OK. I don't know yet, but I did see the Apple guys had several options on the screen during check out one being Device Only, and did not ask for any account info such as phone number and SSN. And they do scan the IMEI code, so there could be something going on right there.

4. shortcut3d thread starter macrumors 65816

The carriers have gotten out of hand. If I pay full price there should be no way they can lock it to them only. I understanding locking to support subsidy, but full price!?!?

5. duaneu macrumors 6502a

Did you actually try another carrier's SIM in it? You don't always get the "congratulations " message when you restore.

6. PLin macrumors 6502

You only see the Congratulations message if the phone was originally locked and then later unlocked. When you purchase it at full price from the Apple Store, it was never locked, so you won't see that message. I experienced this even 2 years ago when I bought a full price AT&T iPhone 5 from the Apple Store.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    Love how people get all worked up and they don't even know if its really locked or not.
    I bet if you try a Tmobile sim it will activate and work fine.
    My AT&T unlocked iphone doesn't display that "Congradulations" message either but works fine with any GSM sim in the world.

8. shortcut3d thread starter macrumors 65816

When ever I get the second tmobile 6+ I'll try that SIM in it. So far I've been told by Apple and AT&T it is locked. No one checked of course. It was just an instant answer to my question.

I almost picked up a Sprint 6+ 128GB instead of waiting for the Tmo, but Apple said Sprint is locked regardless. Even said its different this year and different from the rMini launch.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I wouldn't listen to what AT&T or Apple reps tell you.
    They been saying the same exact thing last year and the year before about full priced AT&T iphones and they were all unlocked as you can see.
    But they were right about the Sprint one. That on is 100% locked full price or not.
    Stop by a Tmobile store for a minute and pop in a sim from them. You will see that its unlocked.

10. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

11. phucnguyenlx macrumors newbie

Yo, Was it the one that you bought the "Device-only" paid in full price (ATT) from Apple?

12. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Well.....2 of my lines I just upgraded for 2 years with the 6+ and my other 2 lines I have installment plans on. I bought the 6 on my sons line full price from apple. Submitted a request a few hours ago and they just sent me an email saying to restore for unlock to work.