Apple.com store doesn't load in Firefox

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CrzyCanuck72, Sep 8, 2007.

1. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

Whenever I try to load the Apple web store in Firefox, none of the images show up. I have Adblock, but it is disabled for all of Apple.com. Attached is a screenshot of what I see at the Apple Store. It loads fine in Safari. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Attached Files:

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Apple serves most (all?) of its images from an akamai.net address--Akamai is sort of a distributed bandwidth supplier for big companies, as far as I understand it, and Apple owns some stock in them.

I'd sort of expect your adblocker to correctly block images hosted at another domain if they're in a page served from an "okayed" domain, but given that a lot of ads are served from Akamai, I'm going to guess that this is what's going on.

I'd think greenlighting the entire Akamai.net domain would let through a lot of other stuff, so if there's no way to say "let through any images from a page at apple.com, regardless of source", I'd probably see about using a different adblocker if I were you.

3. balwx macrumors regular

Hi. I'm using Firefox v 2.0.0.6 & the store loads correctly. Don't know whats happening but something clearly seems to be interfering the images from loading. I can check some of my ff setting, if it would help you.

4. CrzyCanuck72 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the replies guys. I disabled AdBlock on Akamai.com, but the store still doesn't load images.

5. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

How about you delete AdBlock and see if that works. I'm running Firefox w/o adblock and I can see all the images...

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

That may have been a typo, but the images are hosted from Akamai.NET, not .com. If you haven't disabled it for .net, try that. Or just turn it off and see if that fixes the problem--if so, you know what's doing it.

7. CrzyCanuck72 thread starter macrumors 6502a

akamai.net is not a website...

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

True, but a248.e.akamai.net is, and that's where the images on the Apple site are coming from (at least from where I am--part of what Akamai does is serve files from somewhere close to the viewer, I think):

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1313/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/ipodnano-silver-hero.jpg

Actually, that's pretty weird--I don't think I can remember any other domain where domain.net didn't resolve to anything, but *.domain.net did. Regardless, I should have been more specific in saying you'd want to whitelist *.akamai.net, since I presume the prefix to that would change depending on who knows what factors.

Still seems like a decent adblocker should be able to whitelist based on the page the images are embedded in, not where they come from.

9. slylabs13 macrumors newbie

Nothing to do with Akami

This site works fine in Safari, but NOT Firefox. So it is not a problem with your content filter, unless you have a content filter built into Firefox, which I do not, and I still have the problem.

You are correct that earlier versions of Firefox did not have this problem. It only cropped up (seems to me) in later versions beyond 3.0.

10. belvdr macrumors 601

11. MTI macrumors 65816

I've noticed that on some Macs running Firefox 3.x, the prices on the Apple website don't appear, but they will in Safari. From what I recall, they were "default" installs of FF, without any add-ons.

12. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Everyone else has been talking about AdBlock which is a FireFox (and Safari) add-in. It could be blocking those pictures.

I am running 3.5.2 and have no problems.

13. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Forget it guys. This OP is never going to get it. Doesn't understand add-in is for Firefox. Doesn't get photos hosted at an IP or .NET address. Doesn't get why or how to remove plug-in on Firefox. Doesn't understand that Firefox and Safari have different plug-ins. Just absolutely clueless. Some people just don't get it. No matter how hard you try, typing it out isn't going to cut it.

Give up on this one and save your time for someone who will actually read and think about the replies.

Sorry, but sometimes people just need to be honest and direct. We all get why, but no matter how you explain they're not going to understand!

I usually never get this way, but I was frustrated for all of you trying to help the OP. Just reading this makes solution far too obvious from post two.

14. old-wiz macrumors G3

Firefox 3.5.2 works just fine to Apple.com here. Never had an issue.