Apple.com taking 8+ days to ship item!?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mithrilfox, May 18, 2008.

1. mithrilfox macrumors regular

mithrilfox

I wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar problem to what I'm experiencing.

I am using the Apple.com website, purchasing two items from the Japanese store. I purchased an iPod with engraved message, and a standard iMac 20" model (requested the US keyboard, since the two options were JP or US). Nothing else changed about the basic model from the site.

After 4 days of waiting for them to verify the bank transfer, I got confirmation today that the iPod with speciality engraving with ship today. Yeah!

But here's the unbelievable news: the iMac won't ship until at the earliest the 26th. I know this sounds like a complaint, but what the heck? I won't get the item until the 30th of the month? That's what it tells me...

Yet, on the website, written very plainly, is the words "ships within 24 hours." I have an HD video project waiting for me to get working on it, and I need to get it finished by the 30th. My MacBook just can't handle it the way it needs to be handled.

Has anyone else had this much trouble with the website and shipping? Just in case anyone's confused, Apple computers are virtually the exact same except for a sticker somewhere labeling it, and the keyboard layout. The last time I ordered a MacBook, I asked for it with a US keyboard, and it showed up within two days of my order. The MacBook keyboard is integrated into the laptop, and yet I got that within a few days. Why is it that this iMac can't arrive for nearly two weeks?

2. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

The keyboard change likely made it into a CTO computer, which can push the ship date back as much as three weeks. Have you tried calling apple and seeing what they say?

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Online orders, CTOs, etc and deadlines never work well together.

If you have a deadline and need equipment badly, about all you can do is drive down to a store and pick it up in person -- or rent it from someone you know that has it.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

I ordered a MacBook Air when Apple.com said "usually ships in 24 hours".

I also ordered the remote control and an external Ethernet adapter.

Turns out, if you order a remote control, it becomes a CTO order (as the remote control is included inside of the box). I was also given a two-week shipping date.

I ended up receiving everything 4 days after I placed the order.

IMO, Apple over pads some order delivery dates when it comes to some CTO stuff.

5. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

6. Tommy Tallarico macrumors member

Tommy Tallarico

Right. Now go try to buy an iMac again and make some custom options to your order, even if it's just changing the keyboard again. Watch as the "ships in 24 hours" at the top right changes.

It's not like they hide shipping information from you.

7. mithrilfox thread starter macrumors regular

mithrilfox

Hi Tommy,

Thanks, you're right, I did miss that. That's my fault. I still can't imagine why it has to take so long. If Apple is ordering US keyboards on an as-needed basis from the US, I just have to disagree with that kind of practice. It makes sense to keep numerous keyboards on hand for situations like this that often arise. After all, the keyboards are relatively cheap for Apple, and they're guaranteed to use a large amount of them.

After reading someone else's experience here, I have a feeling they may be overestimating how long it will take. I will be very (negatively) surprised if it does take as long as they claim. And if it does, in hindsight, I would have just ordered it without any custom changes, and then simply bought the US keyboard separately. It's not that I can't use the Japanese one, it's just that basic keys like the apostrophe (') and whatnot are incredibly poorly located for typing in English (it's on the top of the 7 key). I can type both Japanese and English with ease and speed on my US keyboards, but English becomes cumbersome and awkward on the Japanese keyboard.

Well, anyway, thanks for the replies guys! I'll hope for the best...

8. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I ordered my current mid-2007 aluminum iMac from the Apple Japan online store on August 7th, the day of it's release. It didn't ship until August 18th and I didn't take delivery until August 23rd.

I also went with a total default configuration aside from a US keyboard. However, as others have already informed you that one factor makes it a CTO which you can confirm by visiting your account page at the Apple Store.

There it will say Custom configuration.

Enjoy the machine. The aluminum iMacs are beautiful. ;)

9. mithrilfox thread starter macrumors regular

mithrilfox

I'm glad to point out that Apple has marked my iMac as "shipped" as of today (May 21st here in Japan).

It is schedule to arrive May 26th, or so it says. Still took too long in my opinion, since I ordered it on the 13th.