Apple.com vs. Best Buy for Purchasing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RUReady18, Jul 11, 2011.

1. RUReady18 macrumors newbie

Im looking to get the 13 inch MBP with the i7 processor (Unless someone can convince me that the 15 inch MBP i7 with the 2.0 Ghz power is worth it) Now what would be the best buying option? I am a student and get 100 dollars off through apple but does anyone know what best buys deal is? What would be a better purchasing option? Thanks

2. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Have you checked Best Buy? Check with them and compare the two...

3. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Bets Buy matches Apple’s price and gives a $100 BB gift certificate, which, if you use their charge card you can apply to you balance reducing your price by $100. Also, you get reward zone points which will give you additional gift certificates (how much depends on wether you take financing or 4% rewards and your BB Reward Zone membership status)

In the end, it depends on what you prefer. I went with BB - because of the GC and points.

4. blackbinary macrumors member

if i recall, best buy will match the $100 giftcard, but it does not match the education discount, which you are obviously applicable for if you can get the giftcard.

5. darkwng, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011

darkwng macrumors newbie

I just got mine at Best Buy last week, they matched the $100 App store gift card by giving me $100 off the hardware, included Office 2011 (student edition), and I managed to get an open box one for another $100 off. with the rewards I get a $20 giftcard, plus I'm financing it 12 months no interest.

I would have loved to have gotten a new one through Apple, but I couldn't pass up the ability to finance it plus the discounts. It's still covered under waranty by Apple, and I still have the option of getting Apple care for it if I want.

But as stated it in the end it does depend on what you prefer.

6. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

No, they'll match both. Just bring in a copy of the Apple web page to verify the price.

7. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

I'd call apple and be sure your warranty dates starts with your purchase date; not the earlier date. They're pretty good about that but you may need to send them your receipt. I did that with an iMac I bought - other wise my warranty would have run out after about 4 months.

8. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Yep, this is true. I was never sure if this was universal to all BBs or just a few stores but they do both here for us. Many of our college students will get their Macs from BB.

I do not know if it makes a difference but we have a min Mac store in our BB. Again, maybe all BBs have these stores now too....

-P

9. EmilyMayhem macrumors member

I got my MBP from Best Buy about two weeks ago and I was able to get both the $100 education discount and the $100 gift card on top of that when I asked about price matching the Apple website. Like previous posters said, it would be best to bring in proof of Apple's price, though the computer department employees at a lot of stores probably already know what to do about the discount as long as you mention it.

10. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Best Buy is an excellent choice. As you mentioned they honor all discounts that one is able to get from Apple, you only have to ask. Because the computer comes in a sealed box, there is virtually no chance of any variables.

In the rare event you get one that is defective or blemished, it's also easier to exchange it, unless you have an Apple store closer than the typical Best Buy. Then it's the same.