Apple (complaints but stocks going up)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Telp, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I dont understand how this. All people do is complain about what apple has been doing, and yet there stock has been going up mass amounts. Whats up with that? Something doesnt add up.

2. philhyde macrumors member

Like a lot of things online, all you read and hear about are the complaints.

3. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

SELL SELL SELL!!!!!!!!

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

My Apple stock. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Thats some sad advice. I am holding my Apple stock and my Sun Power.

Thanks though.:confused:

6. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

Why sell? Its going to go up more, unless leopard bombs...

Anyway...Yeah, i was thinking about that, it just seems that everyone has a problem with it, even though its all probably the same people complaining. Ah, ignorance is bliss.

7. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Nice. It is your decision to buy/sell, but not system in the universe has *EVER* supported exponential growth over any "long" duration.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Agreed, I've taken some nice profits on it's run up from my cost basis of around $11. Sadly, I only have 400 shares in my portfolio.

9. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Probably because a lot of the people who complain still bought an iPhone.

10. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

Then why still complain? It's getting annoying, and complaining isnt gonig to help. Devs are working right now on it, hush up and let them work!!??

11. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

could you translate that into English please? :p

12. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

Apple stock is going up and has room for growth as they continue doing great things in Cupertino. However, like with anything there is also room for consumers to complain and share new ideas. I don't see anything wrong with the complaints that are coming out, except for the fact that many of the ones that my peers told me after I broke down and bought my iPhone (after I kept saying I was going to hold out for the OpenMoko, but that doesn't appear to be going anywhere) were just random things they have heard from others and they were sharing only because they were a bit jealous that I went broke buying one (not literally, all bills were paid before I bought the phone... though perhaps that is less going out this month).

Anyhow, my point is, despite the consumer complaints, people are indeed getting the iPhone and other Apple products. Leopard will be another big boost for Apple.

13. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

Stock price is driven by corporate profit. By locking down the iPhone it increases Apple's bottom line with the iPhone. It spurs complaints from a small percentage of users who like to hack. Most of those people are here. But over 900,000 of the iPhone owners don't care about 1.1.1 or third-party apps. Apple also came out with the iTouch and will sell a ton of those. The California lawsuit is nothing - even if Apple loses. They have great products and market share. hey know how to keep on the cutting edge. Therefore their stock goes up. There are not enough of us to influence Apple's decision when it comes to third-party apps. Our voice is heard among a small group of people. We are fortunate enough to have a group of very smart people who like to hack and share their work. I look forward to AppTap working with 1.1.1 and I also enjoy Apple stock increasing in value.

14. rayward macrumors 65816

People don't complain about Microsoft?

Basically, as long as the complaints don't interfere with the strong sales enjoyed by Apple, the stock market will continue to reward Apple with an ever higher value. I've been waiting for it to split ever since it hit $80!!!

15. Geffen macrumors 6502

It would appear Apple sales are strong dispite complaints, I purchased my iPhone at the Apple retail store near me and everytime I stop into their store its always full of customers buying and looking over the demos, there will be complaints with any product.

16. anubis macrumors 6502a

People complain about oil companies all day, and their stocks are also doing great. What's your point?

17. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

Apple is a phenomenal company. For about a quarter of the revenue that Microsoft generates, they are still very profitable, have very low long-term debt, good cash flow and considerable cash in hand.

They're expanding into a $500 million second campus in Cupertino on 50 acres of land, to add space for 3500 employees. They have products in the pipeline for the next 3 to 5 years which will extend their "digital hub" strategy beyond iPod and iPhone.

They're also the most desirable brand for five years running across all product categories, and they have the highest brand equity among peers... that is to say that their management and brand are the most respected by other executives.

Apple is the "gold standard" of corporate America, and operates very profitably at economies of scale smaller than those of their competitors. Currently, their market capitalization is over 50% of Microsoft's... and that says something tremendous about shareholder confidence in Apple's ability to consistently deliver.

Key to it is Steve Jobs' presence, though. His leadership brought the company back from near extinction. While the company should do just fine after he is gone, provided it continues under the leadership of someone groomed personally by him to follow through with his vision, it is his singularity of purpose that drives others within the company to do well for the sake of the whole. As with the old Macintosh days, Steve has cultivated the kind of loyalty other executives dream about... He's taken the wisdom he gained in exile and applied it to his managerial style without losing his passion for great, cool ideas.

While other companies dabble in products, Apple is focused on ideas, concepts... and the "Reality Distortion Field" today is built upon the ability of Apple to not only create products around great concepts but to deliver the concept and sell it in such a manner that people see the value.

Ever notice how if you walk into an Apple store you can pretty much try out all their products? You can't do this at Best Buy... they have many more models on the shelf, all cluttered and almost indistinguishable from the ridiculously inept backdrops (Apple's stores are almost entirely white to focus all your attenion on the products), and 90 percent of them are not plugged in, much less connected to the net.

There's brilliant marketing at work, but more importantly there's brilliant products to market. Dotcoms busted because they all operated on the premise that an idea was all you needed. Apple takes ideas and turns them into products in 2-3 year cycles... consistently staying 5 to 10 years ahead of the industry with tangible, money-generating products that, as Guy Kawasaki put it, sell ultimately for the simplest reason... because they're "cool stuff that people want."

Jobs has people dedicated to this proposition of designing and selling whole concepts, as opposed to bullet point lists of features. The idea isn't "What does it have" but "What can I DO with it?"

Message boards are like tech support call centers... ask a tech support call center person how much of their customer base has problems and they can't put it into clear perspective for you because tech support centers don't get calls when everything's going right. Naturally they have a skewed perspective. People have a tendency to post far more about things that irritate them than things that please them... and that skews the content on forums like this toward the negative.

The truth is that Apple has higher customer satisfaction than any other computer manufacturer and more than many other brands in entirely unrelated industries. Their name has come to be synonymous with quality and a great user experience... things that cannot be overlooked in favor of dissecting the minutiae of what/how many bells and whistles there are in a given product's feature set. Good form is the key to efficient function. Alan Kay more or less preached this, and Steve Jobs is his biggest disciple... and some of their third party developers, like Wil Shipley, are Apple's greatest followers and evangelists of this philosophy.

Whether it's between the software and the hardware, engineering and marketing, the product and the user, the feature and the task execution or their retail and the customer, Apple's strengths can be summarized in one sentence:

"It's the interface, stupid."

I want some of whatever he's smoking, because it works.

Praise Steve and pass the Kool-aid.

18. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

As much as Apple and Jobs has been greed mongers with the iPhone, you are right about the innovation and brilliance in products and marketing. Apple products are now the gold standard of the industry. Of course, this was accomplished in a very short period of time. Apple was on the verge of extinction until Microsoft bailed them out. Only Steve Jobs could have accomplished that. It's been great for the company and the consumer that he returned and took control.

Now, if he'd only allow for iPhone third-party apps and the ability to have user made free ringtones, he'd be up for sainthood. :)