Apple Compressor 4

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by CocoSS, Oct 31, 2011.

1. CocoSS macrumors member

Hi, a have a full hd movie edited in final cut pro x. It is possible to split this movie in compressor so i can burn the pieces onto 4.7gb dvds ?

Thanks !

2. simsaladimbamba

Do you want to keep the codec FCP X used for editing the video, which probably is Pro Res 422?

3. CocoSS thread starter macrumors member

I want to encode them with .264 in compressor because the output file is smaller. The inital one after the final cut editing has 60 gb and after compressor encoding it had 13 gb. I want to split this 13 gb so i can burn them to dvds.

4. simsaladimbamba

5. CocoSS thread starter macrumors member

6. simsaladimbamba

That is a data rate of more than 3MB/s (24Mbit/s), you can use Compressor to transcode the 60GB video to a size of 4.3GB (~1MB/s), which would fit onto a Single Layer DVD, as I don't know of a way to split the output in Compressor.
    You could try MPEG Streamclip though, as it support exporting a trimmed section and you can limit the data rate too, if needed.

7. CocoSS thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, i will try mpeg streamclip. I hope i don't lose quality by using this software.

8. simsaladimbamba

Either use Compressor and the 60GB file to make a smaller file with 1MB/s data rate, or if you use MPEG Streamclip, also use the 60GB file and don't forget to click "multipass".

9. careypo macrumors member

Don't use MPEGStreamClip it will cause audio sync issues. Use Final Cut Pro to divide the clip up. It can create reference movies which means in links back to the original video and doesn't take up any extra hard drive space. Then run the pieces into compressor. That way you'll have a clean break between the clips.

10. tjwaido, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011

tjwaido macrumors member

This Computer Plus - Node Processors Remain Idle

I have come here as a last resort. I am usually the go to guy for issues like this but I need help.

I am using a Mac Pro (A), and two MacBook Pros (B and C) networked via Firewire 800.

I set up A as a QuickCluster and B and C as nodes as Unmanaged Services Only. I submit a job in Compressor 4 as This Computer Plus and computers A and C perform their job. Computer B remains idle. Qadministrator shows processors B as in use but the job partitions in the Share Monitor do not show the path of the partition through processors B as tjwaido-MacBook-Pro.local. The empty partitions fail to compress and I have to cancel the job. Activity Monitor shows processors B at 0%.

I would like to make processors B active. I have attempted the following:

• Removed previous versions of Compressor, Qmaster, settings, preferences, caches, etc. using digitalrebellion.com/fcsremover/ and reinstalled Compressor 4. All software versions are the same on each computer. I am up to date with QuickTime 10.1 and Mac OSX 10.7.2.
    • Set A as a Cluster Controller and B and C as Managed Services Only. Job completes but processor B remains idle entire time.
    • Created a new user on computer B to wipe out any user preferences. Same issue.
    • Created computer B as QuickCluster controller. Qadministrator cannot see B QuickCluster and Compressor job fails completely. No partitions compress on any computer.

I feel there is something outside of these settings prohibiting processors B from engaging or being recognized in Compressor or Qmaster.

I have not attempted a fresh install on computer B, which is likely to happen. I will let you know if it works out.