Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is this fake or real vintage?

• Fake

• Real

Results are only viewable after voting.

dgrmn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Hi all,

I bought a coffee mug with an 'Apple Computer' logo at a second hands store.
Any idea how I can verify if it is real vintage or a fake one?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_3955 2.JPG
    IMG_3955 2.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 810
  • IMG_3956.JPG
    IMG_3956.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 336
  • IMG_3957 2.JPG
    IMG_3957 2.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 320
Reactions: Sneakers17

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Wow, it looks like an authentic Apple mug offered at one time, but I’ve never seen one, nor know whether it is or not, but it looks great.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I don't see anything about a slogan that Apple ever (officially) used, with "Apple makes it happen!"
There's also no registration or copyright mark on that text, as you could expect on something that Apple made for distribution/sale to the public.
I would say that the cup is real enough, and judging by the various icons, maybe from the late 80's.
Likely something that a local Apple dealer made as a trinket to sell in the shop.
And, probably not something that an Apple collector might be interested in.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
The only reference I could find was a Creative Computing - Volume 6, Number 9 September 1980 two page print add for the Apple II.

However, since the logo on the mug is a flat red, that simply doesn't match - that and the icons being Macintosh just adds to the confusion.

The flat colour logos were circa 1997 to 2000 (depending on which source you look at).

Certainly the red logo seems to first appear on Apple's website early 2000:

https://web.archive.org/web/20000226101337/http://apple.com:80/

It may be an obscure department thing - and I recall that flat red logo used for Apple service IIRC but can't recall the time period.

I'm going to agree with @DeltaMac that this was something a local dealer did.

Perhaps more info about where it was being offered for sale MIGHT lead you to it's origin.

dgrmn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Hi all,

Thank you for the responses.

I bought it in Belgium in a general second hands store for € 0,40 .

It's indeed a strange cup based on the info found on the internet and hard to find the origin.

Anyway, I'll just keep it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.