Apple Confirms Acquisition of 3D Body Sensing Firm PrimeSense

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 24, 2013.

1. diddl14 macrumors 6502a

diddl14

Perfect fit for an iWatch to :D

2. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 603

Mr. Retrofire

Still waiting for the results of this acquisition:
    Apple Confirms Acquisition of Israeli Flash Memory Firm Anobit [Updated]

----------

This is more or less a problem of the GUI frameworks, such as CoreGraphics, OpenGL and so on. The OS should close non-responding apps automatically.

3. Tech198 macrumors G5

ah yea. we all could start doing that in front of out Macs. ;P..

If Steve Jobs never wanted touch of their desktop/laptop displays, but they DO what this ?

It just doesn't add up.... How is this better than touch ? Your waving your arms like a mad man making your Mac do something.... Its only good for gaming, something the Mac has not be targeted for anyway. Which is why the technology works for XBox, of Wii.

Its strange thought Microsoft had o change because Apple aquired PrimeSense...

Maybe Apple's looking at what MS is doing, and think it looks "cool"

I would have expected this this "motion" to stay with Samsung with their phones.

Besides, LeapMotion does it, maybe not very well, but it works... And while Apple probably reckon they can integrate it more. it will only work with Apple hardware..

Locked in again.... Which way would you rather go ?

The idea of rolling my eyes at an iPhone, and Siri stops talking may be interesting though.

4. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

What's the chances the current Apple TV box will be updated in the next month?

5. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Lets just hope its a lot more innovative then 2013!

6. rmwebs, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013

rmwebs macrumors 68040

If Apple's development timelines in the past are anything to go by, this wont see the light of day till about 2020. The iPad started development back in the early 2000s with the iPhone being a byproduct of that.

So it took approx. 8 years to get from planning to release in the iPad's case.

7. dumastudetto macrumors 68040

This is great news for consumers. It means Apple will continue to drive their innovation forward with some great technology they can really build on. Microsoft never realised the full potential of PrimeSense but we know Apple will in a way that only they can.

8. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

One thing is for sure. That woman didn't get that figure thro the lazy lifestyle she promotes! Ha ha

9. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

Yes it seems to fit within Apple's delivery frameworks. Let other companies come in with the technology, implement it in products in an ok way (Kinect) but not fully utilise it (Samsungs smart eye scanning for pages up and down). Then a few years after come to market with something fully refined and blow everyone away.

Imagine a Tony Stark style iMac, just a piece of 24" glass attached to a small aluminium stand, integrated motion camera iSight scanning the room. Would revolutionize interface design, 3D modelling and graphics and be the biggest leap since touch screen interfaces became mainstream.

10. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I do not wish to dance the Macarena simply to change channels.

My oldest son has cerebral palsy and uses a wheelchair. While mentally on par with his peers, he does most of his typing with one finger. Motion-sensing tech will not be of use to him.

11. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I hoping for a face recognition along with the finger print sensor in the iPhone 6 or 6s.

12. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...ng-ios-7-delay-on-software-overhaul-tech.html
    Let's just hope if Apple moves in this direction they do a better job of implementing it than Samsung. Otherwise it will just be a gimmick that no one wants.

13. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

Apple is rumoured to be shifting its attention from a rumored speculative product to another rumored speculative product. Got it! Thanks MacRumors.

Fixed your typo.

14. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I just want my Minority Report display already.

15. dernhelm macrumors 68000

dernhelm

I assume, once Apple integrates this technology into its products, you will still be able to use buttons to interface with your devices.

The good news here is that experimenting with more and varied means of input will allow us to produce better interfaces for all users, especially those with disabilities. While this tech is probably useless for your son, there is some possibility that it might be valuable to other people. It's good just to have some R&D focussed on alternate means of human interface.

16. somethingelsefl macrumors 6502

somethingelsefl

Now Siri will be able to SEE us, when I'm asking dumb questions of her all day long.

17. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    They say that Tom Cruise was exhausted after filming those parts, and often had to rest between takes.

Anyone who's ever been through military boot camp knows that one of the worst drill instructor tortures is to make recruits hold their arms up :)

18. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

Agreed. Improvements in voice recognition are always welcome. Mind you, I have 7 kids so this house is seldom quiet enough for Siri to understand anything around here. ;)

19. newdeal macrumors 68020

I got a sweet deal on an Xbox with Kinect, then sold the Kinect by itself to someone and made it a sweeter deal. Win Win I don't have to hit my head on my basement ceiling while I jump to play games and I get a cheap xbox to me that is the best add-on possible, one that is worth something that isn't needed and can be resold lol

20. PhilipvN macrumors newbie

Seems my 'what if' exercise may have been too drawn out for you to read it fully or closely enough. I argued that Apple will not go into gaming with a gaming console pure play like MSFT, Sony etc. And I argued that Apple will use PrimeSense's technology for other things than just gaming such as face-recognition ('Face ID'), voice-interface, gesture-interface for using the mutli-function iHub device.

Given that, to my knowledge, there is no public knowledge about significant other technology assets that PrimeSense may have, observation of the principle of parsimony (a.k.a. Occam's razor) made me limit my speculation to facts that we do know. Considering available facts, I consider that a strength of my speculative exercise rather than a flaw.

Now, if you have information about other significant tech assets that PrimeSense may have and which you speculate are the real reason why Apple paid $360M, I am sure we are all ears here to hear what details — or even hunches or rumors — you may have.

21. inlovewithi macrumors 6502a

Obviously Apple is not copying Microsoft. But does this mean that when Apple brings its product out Microsoft copied Apple?

22. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

That's a great example of how not everyone is the same, and why having options is a good thing. Apple like to make a big deal out of the myriad ways developers and consumers alike make use of their software and hardware - that alone is surely enough of an admission that they can't see all possible uses or indeed the individual circumstances of all users.

I'm not saying I'd not want Apple to do motion controls / more gestures at all, for people who like that… I just don't want them to become like Nintendo where a large chunk of loyal users feel abandoned because motion controls are imposed upon so much it makes some of their products a bit of a non-starter for those of us who, for whatever reasons, don't or can't use motion controls.

23. Konrad9 macrumors 6502a

No, it wasn't. It sold very well and opened the door for better motion control.

24. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Aka gorilla arm syndrome

25. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Shouting at the box is quicker. I can say Xbox On and my TV and Remote turn on. I can say Xbox watch *name of channel* and it goes there.

It's like using a Moto X - it's easier to say OK Google Now, Navigate to *restaurant*. As opposed to hitting buttons and typing in addresses.

And the tech isn't mutually exclusive with using a remote either.