MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At WWDC this morning, Apple has confirmed that Amazon Prime Video will finally be coming to Apple TV and tvOS sometime later this year. With the new app, users will be able to add Amazon Prime TV content directly into Apple's TV app.

f1496682992.jpg

Apple CEO Tim Cook didn't mention any further details about the Amazon Prime Video on tvOS announcement, besides saying that, "You'll be hearing a lot more about tvOS later this year."

Article Link: Apple Confirms Amazon Prime Video Coming to Apple TV Later This Year

Liam Steven

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2012
He said "coming to all Apple TV's" so does that mean there will be a version for ATV3?

Long shot I know but his statement was ambiguous.

Reactions: Yvan256
Comment

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Well overdue is right. No more AirPlaying via my iPad. Nor contemplating buying the Amazon Fire Stick.

I'll actually use the Amazon Prime app more with a native tvOS app (really only use the app when I travel to locally download content to my devices).

Comment

TomA

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2003
Nice, now if we could run Kodi on the aTV, there would be no need to have a firestick.
Dream on.

I bought a full fire TV and love it. I use my ATV to make my remote door unlock work. LOL

Comment

JoeShades

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
Dream on.

I bought a full fire TV and love it. I use my ATV to make my remote door unlock work. LOL

Fire TV is fine, but Apple tv is better, but both are way better than the Roku junk. I love when people come here and say they like the Roku interface. hilarious

Comment

cookies!

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Wait, will there be a new AppleTV that's 4K? I don't want to pay for a device that doesn't have 4K and HDR these days. I get that there isn't too much content out there, but it's 2017. Futureproof it a *little bit*, Apple.

Comment

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
I think the fact that very little was said about the AppleTV/tvOs points to a possible Apple TV 5th gen release later this year. It's likely they can't talk too much about the tvOs update because it will tell you too much about the new hardware they weren't ready to announce.

They wanted to say something about Apple TV though, so everyone didn't start screaming that it is doomed/being discontinued, etc, so they put it out there right away that Amazon Prime is coming (obviously the lack of this app is something they have been getting complaints about for a while).

Comment
Would love to know if this will be supported on Gen 3 Apple TVs. I can't upgrade to the Gen 4 since it doesn't have Optical Audio out support for Sonos.

Join Apple's world of dongles. There are HDMI dongles that connect via HDMI and export HDMI + split off audio via optical. About $20-$40. Apple seems to now be working hard to eject functionality that used to be built inside to the outside. Then we consumers need to pay extra for features that used to be built in... and like it. And if you don't like it, post it and several around here will shout you down, spinning anything to rationalize why such hardware utility ejections makes perfect sense and/or is "the future."

And I doubt the "3" will get it. "3" is probably dead now except for maybe some core tvOS updates as the core continues to evolve. I highly doubt it will get entirely new apps.

Wait, will there be a new AppleTV that's 4K? I don't want to pay for a device that doesn't have 4K and HDR these days. I get that there isn't too much content out there, but it's 2017. Futureproof it a *little bit*, Apple.

There will be... only when is the question. Conceptually, with the announcement of h.265 and even more references to this and that editing, shooting & rendering 4K, my bet is on this Fall (though my money was ready to be spent today if they had announced the "5").

To me, leading off with tvOS was exciting... that then collapsed to disappointing when a single app represented all they had to say about it. Imagine if they had done that for all 4 "OS" variants.:eek:

Last edited:
Comment

Liam Steven

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2012
Join Apple's world of dongles. There are HDMI dongles that connect via HDMI and export HDMI + split off audio via optical. About $20-$40. Apple seems to now be working hard to eject functionality that used to be built inside to the outside. Then we consumers need to pay extra for features that used to be built in... and like it. And if you don't like it, post it and several around here will shout you down, spinning anything to rationalize why such hardware utility ejections makes perfect sense and/or is "the future."

And I doubt the "3" will get it. "3" is probably dead now except for maybe some core tvOS updates as the core continues to evolve. I highly doubt it will get entirely new apps.

There will be... only when is the question. Conceptually, with the announcement of h.265 and even more references to this and that editing, shooting & rendering 4K, my bet is on this Fall (though my money was ready to be spent today if they had announced the "5").

To me, leading off with tvOS was exciting... that then collapsed to disappointing when a single app represented all they had to say about it. Imagine if they had done that for all 4 "OS" variants.:eek:

Disagree! See Amazon's Tweet! They too confirm all ATV's...

Reactions: Yvan256
Comment
OK, people still have Apple TV 1s & 2s too. I don't think "all" really means "all," much like "unlimited" pretty much doesn't really mean "unlimited"... or "magical" doesn't mean it's actually magical.

IMO, I think "all" means Apple TV 4 and probably 5 by the time Amazon actually rolls out... probably coinciding with some Amazon 4K programming being part of the push for all "4" owners to "upgrade" to "5" to be able to play that 4K at 4K.

But hey, I'll hope right with you. While I no longer have a "3" myself, I hope it gets the app too for those that do.

Comment

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
During the keynote Cook seemed to indicate that this was coming via the TV app. The TV app is only available in the USA, so safe to assume that there will indeed be a separate Amazon Prime Video app?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.