Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazy dave

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2010
The 'fix' was not a security fix for the vulnerabilities. Those CVEs are identifiers for separate vulnerabilities that were fixed by the security update. I'm not convinced that the security update was back ported to the kernel in Sierra / El Capitan since changes that are feature changes (which the fix for Meltdown would've been considered via the double buffer kernel change) are not included in security changes unless they are explicitly stated to fix a security issue. I would bet that the mitigations in 10.13.2 are not present in Sierra / El Capitan presently.

Interesting, thanks! Still would be nice to get official confirmation from Apple on Sierra/El Cap.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Most likely the fixes will be back ported to Sierra and El Capitan alongside 10.13.3. It's not official policy, but Apple only releases security updates for the latest, and previous two OS's. Anything behind El Capitan is EOL by most software security scanners.

You probably meant "Anything beyond El Capitan is EOL."

That would be great since it is not possible to update the MacOS past El Capitan in many computers which are still functioning. Apple has not come out with an update to the Mac Pro except for machines that contain electronics which are already 4+ years old.

crazy dave

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2010
My thoughts exactly, I thought that spectre was demonstrated on ARM. All these companies and journalists are contradicting themselves.

No ARM said some of their chips *might* be vulnerable and custom chips like Apple's, Samsung's, etc ... could've also implemented the same vulnerability in hardware. Still a little odd, but not out of left field.

Having said that, the fix is unlikely to impact standard iOS workloads.

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

crazy dave

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2010
Does it only affect Intel processors?
Spectre affects all modern processors, including those designed by Intel, AMD and ARM, but Meltdown is currently thought only to affect Intel chips manufactured since 1995, with the exception of the Itanium and Atom chips made before 2013.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...uter-processor-intel-security-flaws-explainer

ARM has said that some of its designs may be vulnerable

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...odern-processor-has-unfixable-security-flaws/

That's a better link ... :)

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Does it only affect Intel processors?
Spectre affects all modern processors, including those designed by Intel, AMD and ARM, but Meltdown is currently thought only to affect Intel chips manufactured since 1995, with the exception of the Itanium and Atom chips made before 2013.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...uter-processor-intel-security-flaws-explainer

Guess I'm busting back out my 486SX20 (without the math coprocessor), and dropping back to 32bit Linux and Windows 3.1.

Doom, Duke Nukem, and Leisure Suit Larry, here I come! :D :p

BL.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I am not sure that Spectre affects all modern CPUs beyond the 3 vendors mentioned.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Apple's statement does not make it clear if these vulnerabilities have been addressed in older versions of iOS and Mac, but for Macs, there were security updates for older versions of macOS released alongside macOS 10.13.2, so it's possible fixes are already available for Sierra and El Capitan.

The fixes were indeed backported to Sierra and El Capitain in the Security update.

Apple has already released mitigations in iOS 11.2, macOS 10.13.2, and tvOS 11.2 to help defend against Meltdown.

That's damned curious... Meltdown is Intel specific. Why do they need to patch iOS and tvOS for an Intel specific bug?

crazy dave

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2010
The fixes were indeed backported to Sierra and El Capitain in the Security update.

That's damned curious... Meltdown is Intel specific. Why do they need to patch iOS and tvOS for an Intel specific bug?

Actually meltdown isn't truly Intel specific (see posts 28 and 29)

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I am not sure that Spectre affects all modern CPUs beyond the 3 vendors mentioned.

I read that Spectre was a problem related to the x86-64 spec, meaning that all 64bit processors would be affected. so AMD would also have the problem.. I believe that is what the original article said at The Register.

BL.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Guess I'm busting back out my 486SX20 (without the math coprocessor), and dropping back to 32bit Linux and Windows 3.1.

Doom, Duke Nukem, and Leisure Suit Larry, here I come! :D :p

BL.

Lol, am wondering how much the latest xbox and ps4 consoles will take a performance hit if they decide to patch those

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Where are the Apple cheerleaders who were chastising Intel for this hardware flaw?

It's pretty clear Apple processors are affected as well. Where's chastising now for Apple?

Apple doesn't make its own processors. It hasn't for a while. They migrated all of that over to Intel, which is where the primary source of the problem is.

If we're talking companies now, nearly all Cloud services are impacted as well. Amazon S2, AWS, Google, Azure, etc. This is bigger than just one company.

BL.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Internally, certain people working on the fix will have known for at least a month or longer. These issues are so secretive that even your manager doesn't know what you're doing. Security bugs are very hush-hush until the cat is out of the bag.
January 9 was the agreed-upon date for all parties involved to publicly talk about it, but news of it leaked early.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Apple doesn't make its own processors. It hasn't for a while. They migrated all of that over to Intel, which is where the primary source of the problem is.

If we're talking companies now, nearly all Cloud services are impacted as well. Amazon S2, AWS, Google, Azure, etc. This is bigger than just one company.

BL.

apple designs plenty of their own processors for manufacturing for companies such as samsung and TSMC to make.

just one example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A9

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Actually meltdown isn't truly Intel specific (see posts 28 and 29)

No, meltdown is Intel specific. Those posts refer to Spectre, which is different.

While both Spectre and Meltdown are related to speculative execution, the important distinction is that Meltdown is relatively easy to exploit and read all of the memory. Spectre is difficult to exploit and specifically is very timing dependent. Spectre is also extremely difficult - if not impossible - to patch.

EDIT: I'm wrong.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Meltdown is not Intel specific.

Anything that uses KPTI is potentially vulnerable.

Apple has just confirmed its processors are vulnerable but now patched.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208394

"Apple released mitigations for Meltdown in iOS 11.2, macOS 10.13.2, and tvOS 11.2. watchOS did not require mitigation."

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
No, meltdown is Intel specific. Those posts refer to Spectre, which is different.

While both Spectre and Meltdown are related to speculative execution, the important distinction is that Meltdown is relatively easy to exploit and read all of the memory. Spectre is difficult to exploit and specifically is very timing dependent. Spectre is also extremely difficult - if not impossible - to patch.

I've read articles about Spectre being hard to patch and may require new hardware design to completely mitigate. And difficult to exploit.

crazy dave

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2010

No they're referring to Meltdown.

Meltdown
"The researchers say they haven't been able to perform the same kind of kernel memory-based speculation on AMD or ARM processors, though they hold out some hope that some way of using this speculation offensively will be developed. While AMD has stated specifically that its chips don't speculate around kernel addresses in this way, ARM has said that some of its designs may be vulnerable, and ARM employees have contributed patches to Linux to protect against Meltdown."

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...odern-processor-has-unfixable-security-flaws/

https://developer.arm.com/support/security-update

========================

And it seems Apple implemented hardware vulnerable to it as well. It may not be vulnerable in the same way, but they still felt it necessary to issue patches because it could still be vulnerable.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208394

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010

Everything I have read has stated that Meltdown is thought to only impact Intel chips as it is the only platform they've been able to observe the possible exploit on so far. That doesn't automatically give other processors a clean bill of health. All these processors do speculative processing, and Apple very well could have R&Ded (ripped of and duplicated) Intel's implementation for their custom A-series chips. Or there could be another avenue not yet discovered that is vulnerable to a similar attack.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

BL.

Huh?

I'm talking about Apple application processors like A10. Those processors are affected by Meltdown.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Huh?

I'm talking about Apple application processors like A10. Those processors are affected by Meltdown.

Do they conform to the x86-64 spec? If they don't, they aren't impacted.

EDIT: They do conform to the A64 spec, which is a derivative of ARM, so they may be impacted.

BL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.