Apple Considered 5G Modem Chips From Samsung, MediaTek, and Intel for 2019 iPhones

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2019.

1. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

Price is a bigger one these days.

2. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I don’t think apple will increase prices this year not with how much crap they have got in recent weeks.

3. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

They actually need to decrease prices and by a sizable amount.

4. gavroche macrumors 65816

gavroche

If one gas station raises the price of gas 10 cents a gallon, and u choose to go to the one next door... did you "throw the first one under the bus", or did you make the best financial decision. Welcome to economics and business.

5. diego.caraballo macrumors member

Yeah, but is not the case. Qualcomm not changed prices. Apple decided that it was paying too much and stopped paying license fees and looked for arbitration. Qualcomm have the better cellular technology as today. I'm sorry, but if you have a fantastic patent portfolio you should take advantage of them (Business 101). No one can be happy with the lost of Qualcomm as a provider, as customers we are suffering it now and we will suffering even more in the future with the next cellular generation. Also, this is Apple being as cheap as possible, like when they still shipping their flagships phones with a subpar charger. Qualcomm BB cost was USD27.5, plus USD22.7 in license fee...USD50

6. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Chargers have nothing to do with this. “Cheap” has nothing to do with this, either.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...antitrust-trial-that-kicks-off-today.2163663/

7. diego.caraballo, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

diego.caraballo macrumors member

Qualcomm want to sale you the chip and charge the license fee or not deal. Antitrust are an obsolete concept.
    Imagine that you invent something after years and billions in research, then you want to license your patents, but a trillion dollar company thinks that 50 bucks per device (including the hardware) is too much. Then they accuse you of having a monopoly and say that you don’t want to license your creation at a FAIR price.... Like if a $999 is a fair price for a smartphone that cannot hold the signal...

8. mprime_17 macrumors newbie

Whatever modem they choose will be fine on real world experience.
    What they really REALLY need to do is improve their antennas design, like a lot.

And if they can, though im not really expecting it, is to integrate the modem on their SoC, that way the energy efficiency would improve a lot.

9. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Costco gas always has the lowest price so no need to go anywhere else. Plus, I don't remember suing any gas stations and trying to stop them from doing business so terrible analogy.

10. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

At least Costco doesn’t charge me gas based on the price of my car.

11. MoreRumors? macrumors 6502a

I still want the best modem available as this is an important component. If Qualcomm is still the best option, then this is what I want. Will we get it? It looks slim unless the other companies can make one just as good or better.

12. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

People intending to hold a phone for two or more years will want a 5G modem. This is why it is DOA if it doesn't have one.

13. zombierunner macrumors 65816

zombierunner

14. mzs.112000 macrumors regular

Exactly. Qualcomm already has a 5G modem, that works, in production, right now, with high yields...

If Apple wants to reverse their bad profits, they need to have 5G on the new iPhones. There are a large number of people who want to keep a phone for 2 years or more, I won't buy a new phone if I know that in 9 months from now, it won't be able to take advantage of my carriers network(especially when you are paying out the a$$ for that carriers network *ahem Big Red *ahem*).

Of course, it also needs the typical CPU upgrade(A13 should be like A12 but with 2 extra mid-range cores, between the high-performance ones and the efficiency ones, or ideally, 4x high-performance cores and 4x efficiency ones, like the A12X)

Also, give it 6GB of RAM, just like the iPad, and add 1TB storage. I would buy it, and keep it around for 6 years(4 years as main driver, 2 years as a spare...)

15. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

Stay away from 5G this year Apple - the tech won't be baked, just like it wasn't for those 1st year 4g phones.

16. Strokee macrumors member

All of the rumors say that Apple will wait until 2020 for a 5G iPhone. Based on their history and concerns about 5G network availability and hardware compromises, I’m apt to believe those rumors.

This article says nothing that changes my opinion. A guy said that Apple considered using Samsung and MediaTek for 5G modems in their 2019 iPhones. Of course they did. They will not use them. They will use Intel, which will not be ready in time for 2019. Because this guy did not definitively say whether Apple did or did not make a choice or whether or not Apple will release a 5G iPhone in 2019, bored people are making this a “rumor” that they might. It’s b.s..

I think what COULD happen is that Apple releases a 5G iPhone earlier in 2020 than their normal September/October release timeframe. This is not a rumor, just me speculating. Probably will not happen.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2019 ---
    This. Exactly.

17. nviz22 macrumors 603

nviz22

Forget Mediatek and ignore Intel. Intel modems are trash.

18. gavroche macrumors 65816

gavroche

Without getting into specifics of that particular case... that's not what I responded to. The comment I responded to a was speaking about how Apple treats suppliers in general.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2019 ---
    no, not a bad analogy. the comment I replied to was a general reference to Apple moving on to a new supplier when it suited it's needs. As if Apple is the only company that does this. As if pretty much all businesses don't do this. And as if we consumers don't do this.

19. Mars56 Suspended

@AppleHQ - oh, nviz22 told us to take those!! - oh sure, let's go for them, he's a good guy and knows what he's tailing about - ok!! - fine!!

Grats!!!:)

20. ksec macrumors 6502a

That is like saying Celeron CPU are garbage, or your Toyota isn't as fast as Ferrari, well that is what you get when you are buying low price products. It is not like Mediatek doesn't have Mid range offering. And sometimes higher end offering. I don't see their Modem are anything worst than Intel.

The most important part of Modem design process along with Antenna and others part of Wireless, apart from the IP is design and tuning. When you have 100s of phones models from different customers in different countries wirelessly connecting to different brand of infrastructure under different conditions. You are going to get a lot more Data for fine tuning. A luxury for Intel. Something Mediatek has much more access to, as they have much higher volume.

It is highly likely Intel's 8160 5G Modem will be Fabbed on 10nm, which basically means there is no way this is in 2019 iPhone.

And I would take a 3GPP Rel 14 Modem, ( Intel 7660, likely in 2019 iPhone ) over a 5G modem any day in the next 2 - 3 years. mmWave 5G is only useful is very little scenario, the actual NR Spec for Non-mmWave are delayed again for later part of 2019. Spectrum refarming will take 1 - 2 years, 5G modem energy usage will be quite a bit more than 4G.

Basically if you already lives in City with very good 4G network connections and latest spec, 5G wouldn't bring you much at all.

21. Bacillus, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019

Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

So what they got is: commercial bans / legal issues with QualComm for $30 (already passed onto customers in $100...300 overpriced handsets), LTE/Cellular issues, to be solved with numerous undocumented stability iOS updates, no modem supplier diversification, and at least 1 year delay for 5G.
    (which I hardly care about, but can be deadly harmful in a technology-push market where they struggle to differentiate themselves)
    Using their extensive experience with Intel & lagging MacBook cpu’s...
    NOT

22. Schranke macrumors 6502a

Schranke

There have not really been much of a reason to upgrade any year if your phone are less then 2 years old. The improvement we have seen so far are marginal, except for Face ID.
    The big problem is that apple have turn the price up so much now that people will want the cutting edge no matter how impractical or unnecessary it might be.
    And then there is the whole political situation with Huawei and them providing 5G to service providers

23. mscice macrumors 6502

5G is very deadly... for humans... many birds have died in 5G testing :(

one step closer to really make humans stupid ...

24. wwetech macrumors member

I thought Nvidia Shield is more powerful still.

25. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

There is going to be a huge buzz in the media all carriers around 5G all year long. 5G is going to be the new buzz word around mobile internet access and home internet access too. Apple will have a PR problem and give people less of a reason to upgrade if the 2019 iPhones do not have 5G.

Just having a better camera will not be enough of a reason to upgrade at the prices Apple is charging. They are already seeing a slow down in sales.
    Public perception (right or wrong) will be that iPhones are behind in current technology if they do not have 5G.....