Apple Considering Use of OLED Display on Second-Generation iPad?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

DigiTimes offers conflicting views on the possibility that Apple could offer an OLED display on the second-generation iPad. The report cites "sources in the component industry" who claim that Apple has begun development on the device and is looking to use OLED panels for a planned 2011 launch.
The sources with the components sector said OLED panel prices are expected to drop and make it more price friendly for the iPad.
DigiTimes' own research arm, however, indicates that pricing for OLED panels of the size required for the iPad is likely to remain prohibitively high for the next several years.
Kuo noted that the current price of the 9.7-inch LCD panel for iPad is about US$60-70, but the price of a 9.7-inch OLED panel is about US$500. He said the price gap is unlikely to narrow significantly in 2010 or 2011.
OLED displays can generally offer reduced power requirements and superior contrast ratios to more traditional LCD panels, making them attractive to device manufacturers and thus a frequent topic of Apple rumors. Pricing and certain technical challenges have, however, slowed the adoption of the technology, with OLED screens only recently making their way into wide usage in such devices as smartphones.

Article Link: Apple Considering Use of OLED Display on Second-Generation iPad?

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Here we go again... a new Apple device and a new 'speculation' that it will 'SOON' be sporting an OLED screen... After the first 4 or so years I'd imagine people would give up this ghost.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The current LED/E-IPS screens still seem to have big advantages over OLED. So I don’t buy it.

xerent

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2010
If the iPad is this "stunning success" that Apple's claiming (over the shortages) I'm sure Apple could order enough (read: millions) of these OLED screens to bring the prices down?

broncopde

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
Conway, AR
From John Gruber:

In short, their report boils down to “Apple is going to use OLED displays in the next-generation iPad, even though such displays are impossibly expensive.

(Given what I’ve seen with the Nexus One, I don’t think Apple will ever use today’s OLED, regardless of cost, because of the wild hyper-vibrant color reproduction. Perhaps future OLED displays will solve that problem, though.)

Selenius

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
The current screen is not an LCD it is an LED screen. Most likely has to do with battery life along side screen quality

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
This is where I wouldn't mind an OLED. I'm glad they don't use them in portable devices like the iPod and iPhone, since they're awfully hard to see in harsh daylight. But for something that is only going to be used inside and where I can position it away from sunbeams = awesome.
Even though I wouldn't buy an iPad.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
This is where I wouldn't mind an OLED. I'm glad they don't use them in portable devices like the iPod and iPhone, since they're awfully hard to see in harsh daylight. But for something that is only going to be used inside and where I can position it away from sunbeams = awesome.
Even though I wouldn't buy an iPad.
Unless some terrific strides have taken place the life of the screen isn't very long. From what I remember ?blue? is usually the color that fails the quickest but even before a full color failure the OLED screen starts exhibiting some pretty pronounced 'color accuracy' issues once the blue gets to apx half of its 'expected life'. While OLED has always SOUNDED like a good thing, the implementation and real-world usage reveals the flaws OLED has to overcome before anyone should ever consider using it in any large scale way.

http://www.oled-info.com/tags/lifetime/blue_color

Shows advances are taking place.. but even going back to 'summer 2008' blue OLED was far from optimal and I think somewhere around 10k hours before failure. But since it fails 'over-time' the issues of the 'lesser' blue show up ... I'd bet in 5k hours of use.. maybe 8k. Current posts indicate 35k hours which is getting more acceptable.

With 9125 hours in a year so lets say a device gets used 15% thats 1368 hours or 3.75 hours per day. With a device that will begin to show failure (less/lower blue level) at 17,500 (35,000 / 2 ) thats a good 10 years of use.

Still, would you buy and iPad or 17 laptop if you knew the screen would start to fail in 10 years time or less if you used your iPad or laptop more than 3.75 hours per day?

This is why OLED is almost entirely relegated to screens that 'turn off ALOT' cameras, cellphones, etc. I think that site I linked to has a device database you can search and see what OLED screens are going into... Only 2 computers and I think both have been canceled or delayed (OQO? was one iirc). The rest were almost all 'tiny screens' (some B&W).

Finally I found the quote (below) in a front page story that speaks about the '2011 iPod with OLED' and it pretty much says it all....

They estimate that the iPad's 9.7" LCD costs around $60-70. A similar OLED will cost about $500. That gap isn't likely to drop significantly by 2011.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Fine, so if you don't use it in sunlight, you will might still have trouble using it in well lit rooms. This would lead people to using it in dimly lit rooms which would lead to eye strain.

OLED on an e-reader/web surfing device makes absolutely non sense what so ever because it would use "more" not less power because white uses more power on OLED than LCD.

Colour pigments on OLED will still fade over time resulting in a colour shift even if you keep it out of the sun most of the time.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Fine, so if you don't use it in sunlight, ... Colour pigments on OLED will still fade over time resulting in a colour shift even if you keep it out of the sun most of the time.
Yep... that about sums it up... As I said above the 'OLED Concept' was always attractive 'on paper' and many of us really wanted it to work out, however with the massive price drops and technology leaps LCD/LED displays have seen over the years, many of the 'attractive features' attributed to OLED have become much less pronounced and I'm afraid the only thing OLED still has going for it is that 'past perception' many of us want to cling on to.

calsci

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
I hope the oled technology comes down in price and gets better before they decide to do this. RIght now LED seems to be the best route but apple always know best.

palane

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2009
With regards to a mobile device, would you care to mention one that you plan on using for ten years or more? Best answer gets my 7 year old 2nd gen iPod (20GB, $500 originally).

OLED technology, incidentally, is advancing rapidly. '08 is '0ld school.

BB

Unless some terrific strides have taken place the life of the screen isn't very long. From what I remember ?blue? is usually the color that fails the quickest but even before a full color failure the OLED screen starts exhibiting some pretty pronounced 'color accuracy' issues once the blue gets to apx half of its 'expected life'. While OLED has always SOUNDED like a good thing, the implementation and real-world usage reveals the flaws OLED has to overcome before anyone should ever consider using it in any large scale way.

http://www.oled-info.com/tags/lifetime/blue_color

Shows advances are taking place.. but even going back to 'summer 2008' blue OLED was far from optimal and I think somewhere around 10k hours before failure. But since it fails 'over-time' the issues of the 'lesser' blue show up ... I'd bet in 5k hours of use.. maybe 8k. Current posts indicate 35k hours which is getting more acceptable.

With 9125 hours in a year so lets say a device gets used 15% thats 1368 hours or 3.75 hours per day. With a device that will begin to show failure (less/lower blue level) at 17,500 (35,000 / 2 ) thats a good 10 years of use.

Still, would you buy and iPad or 17 laptop if you knew the screen would start to fail in 10 years time or less if you used your iPad or laptop more than 3.75 hours per day?

This is why OLED is almost entirely relegated to screens that 'turn off ALOT' cameras, cellphones, etc. I think that site I linked to has a device database you can search and see what OLED screens are going into... Only 2 computers and I think both have been canceled or delayed (OQO? was one iirc). The rest were almost all 'tiny screens' (some B&W).

Finally I found the quote (below) in a front page story that speaks about the '2011 iPod with OLED' and it pretty much says it all....

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009

Um, ten YEARS?? Why sure I would! Do you use the same computer you bought 10 years ago? How about the same cell phone? Technology moves on. You'll be replacing your iPad or laptop earlier then 10 years anyway and it won't be because the screen has failed. It will be because the device itself has become obsolete.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Kuo noted that the current price of the 9.7-inch LCD panel for iPad is about US$60-70, but the price of a 9.7-inch OLED panel is about US$500
What the article fails to mention is that any OLED display under consideration could be for the SMALLER iPad rumored to be planned for 2011 and not a 9.7 inch at all. It still might be cost prohibitive, or there might be some other reason to not use them. But people shouldn't assume a 9.7 inch screen size here.

Chwisch87

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2008
OLED displays are pretty much impossible to use in any kind of sunlight. This is the biggest issue with the zuneHD.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Why do people always mention OLED's can't be seen in the sun? Have any of you tried to look at an iPad outside in full sunlight? It's not so great either.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Um, ten YEARS?? Why sure I would! Do you use the same computer you bought 10 years ago? How about the same cell phone? Technology moves on. You'll be replacing your iPad or laptop earlier then 10 years anyway and it won't be because the screen has failed. It will be because the device itself has become obsolete.
*raises hand*
I still use my classic Gameboy, Gameboy Colour and my phone is from 2003ish. Our oldest in-use laptop is from 2004. Our oldest TV is from 2002 (gave away our 1997 one recently). I fully intend on using my iPod and all my other gadgets until they are run into the ground.

People still do use old electronics with displays.