Apple Consolidating AV Cables ahead of iPhone HD launch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gluben, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Gluben macrumors member

2. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

The possibilities of the iPhone Pro and iPhone Dock are getting more and more real. Thanks for the story, everyday I'm getting more and more excited to see what comes at WWDC. If its just one iPhone, I'm gonna be down right disappointed.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

One interesting thing this article suggests is that Apple could discontinue the Apple TV and use the iPod touch/iPhone to do what the Apple TV does today.

4. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Good point. This is make sense seeing as Apple has insisted that Apple TV is a "hobby" and that they had some interesting ideas up their sleeves that they were thinking about. It makes a lot of sense. So would the dock almost take the place of the Apple TV, storing all the files?

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No way. Who wants to miss phone calls or stop checking their e-mail on the sofa because they're watching a movie?

And heck, forgetting all that, the BEST way to use an Apple TV today is to control it with the 'Remote' app on the iPhone. If you plugged your iPhone into the TV, you'd lose out on the Apple TV's killer feature!

Now, what they COULD do is come up with an even smaller Apple TV that looks a lot like an iPhone without a screen on it. I can certainly see that happening. And yes, you're right that future iPhones will be capable of this and people using an iPhone as an Apple TV will be common...but not common enough that they'll stop making Apple TVs altogether.

6. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I don't know?

After reading that article I don't buy it? I just can't see that, I can see the ability to connect the iPhone to your TV for various functions but not to be used for watching movies on your big screen. I guess I'm having a hard time making sense of that one.

7. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

You might just be one disappointed person than, because i really don't think there will be more than one version of the new iphone. there might be one that is has less options that will be sold in certain places, but i think there will be only one main new iphone

8. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I can almost certainly say there will be at least 2 iPhones. It's just common business sense, people have different requirements.

Look at Apple's current product line:

Consumer
    Macbook
    Mac Mini
    iMac

Professional
    Mac Pro
    Macbook Pro
    Macbook Air

2 different types of products. Consumers want thinner, lighter devices, different colours, good cameras. Professionals have bigger budgets, they want more powerful phones, better battery life, better reception.

9. samiwas macrumors 65816

I still don't believe that there will be two different types of iPhone available. Different types of laptops/computers are far different from different types of mobile phones. Sorry, I just don't see it happening...they aren't Nokia...I don't think they're in the business to have 1400 different types of phone, with a new one released every week.

10. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I agree, it would be a smart move on Apple's part if they had a "cheaper" iPhone for basic consumers and another for power users. Not everyone needs all of the same capabilities on their iPhone.

11. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

Then they can go ahead and do that for OS X too, right? Have 3-4 different releases like Home, Office, Pro, and Media. Wait, that sounds familiar...

On a serious note, I think another iPhone model wouldn't be a bad idea, as long as they don't go crazy with new ones.

12. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

If they are streaming the HD movies over wifi like they do HD Podcasts then I can see this being a reality.

13. KingHuds macrumors 6502

I love that people complain when MS has different versions of their OS, but when Apple does it it is an amazing idea.

14. newConvert macrumors regular

OoOoo if this is true, it'd be a huge upgrade over the previous model.

15. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

If there were ever to be a "cheaper" iPhone model, it'll be feature equivalent (or just flat out the same) to what exists now.

16. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

Give support to developers to create duel screen apps to display to tv's and sell a hell of a lot of overpriced AV kits.

17. milani macrumors 68000

milani

What on earth does a phone power user look like?

18. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

When has Apple done this? Unless you're referring to server side.

19. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Won't happen. According to their latest earnings call, Apple TV sales grew more than 300% in Q1 '09 over Q1 '08. This is an emerging market for Apple.

20. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Exactly. Apple can keep the iPhone 3G or something similar with the same features and price points and then release another higher end phone.

21. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I do think that the multiple versions of Vista was a bad idea. But having a version for home users and professional users seemed logical, like in XP.

/off topic.

22. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

A 720p display on the iPhone?

Cool, but what about today's apps? Scaling them up may make them quite fugly.

23. Haephestos macrumors regular

24. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Assuming the screen was the same size, but just higher res, I figure the apps will pretty much look the same.

25. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

Now this is the most exciting rumor for the upcoming iphone yet!!:D