Apple convert, help please for my next purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kevingaffney, May 4, 2009.

1. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

Over the past twelve months, mainly thanks to the purchase of my 3g iphone, I have become increasingly impressed with all things Apple, Mobileme, Safari, Itunes and Airport Express to stream my music wirelessly. Here's my dilemma.
    Im a self employed sign manufacturer so my budget is not unlimited. My main pc at work which runs photoshop and illustrator, handles large files and is overdue for upgrading. My home pc, which I also run illustrator and photoshop, is mainly used for Itunes and browsing. Should I replace both of these machines with one good mac laptop, and if so, which one, or would two mac minis do the job. I don't want to spend more than necessary but also don't want to regret buying wrong combination in a few months. I would also need to run bootcamp in both environments because of an expensive graphics I use all the time and is a windows version.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'm sure I'll be in the minority opinion, but buying a Mac just to run Windows isn't the way to save money. You could get yourself two fine PC desktops for the cost of one Macbook Pro. If you're not going to be using OS X for your productivity, I can't see why you'd bother.

3. desiringGod macrumors regular

Unless you can sell your other programs for a good amount to buy the equivalent on OSX or it will greatly increase your productivity so that you can produce more/faster/better/cheaper and thus can justify the expense, stay with Windows.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Adobe will allow you to transfer the license from Wndows to the Mac for a very nominal fee. You have to promise that you destroyed the Windows software and they send you the mac versions. This can also be done durring a version upgrade too.

I think you should only buy a notebook if you need portabilty., don't buy one to keep on a desk.

If this is your bussiness think about backup. Having two computers is nice if one is broken and you are working to a deadline.