Apple Corp. thought process on iOS. A discussion about why??

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by THE JUICEMAN, Jul 17, 2012.

1. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

My question for discussion is why Apple will not allow users choice in their OS? I understand that they have taken the strategy of keep it so simple that anyone can use it and that is fine. But why not at least give power users (like a lot of us on this forum) at least the OPTION?

I am referring to UI enhancements and features like quick toggles for Bluetooth, wifi, data, etc. widgets for a quick glance at information, changing colors and fonts, hiding applications, a different lock screen, etc. I could go on all day but my point is if you want to dumb down the phone then fine. Put the customization options somewhere and the average users will have no idea that they are even there. Problem solved. You keep it simple out of the box for the masses and allow customization for people like myself at the same time. Does anyone have any discussion or thoughts on this? Yes, I know I can jailbreak or switch to Android. Things I have both done in the past.

2. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

It's Apple's product, they choose what they want to do with it.

If you don't like it then the door is right there for you to leave.

3. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

Why is this the only answer? Why not actually improve iOS?

4. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

If you like to improve iOS, then I would recommend that you go to programming and/or design school, get a job at Apple on the iOS team, and then go put all your ideas into iOS.

Until then, you can choose to use Apple's offerings, the jailbreak community's offerings, or simply use a different phone OS.

No one is forcing you to use iOS.

5. THE JUICEMAN thread starter macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

You are absolutely correct. No one is forcing us to use the products. But that still doesn't help with any thoughts as to why Apple would choose to do this. I know it wouldn't take their developers long to add some customization options. I guess they have higher priority goals but still.

6. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Then become in charge of the iOS Dev team and have them implement it.

Nobody really wants to hear more complaining. Either put up with it or get something different that suits your needs.

7. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Because the moment you give people options then want it and then you have people complaining about how bad iOS is because they don't know know to use the phone.

If you have something shiny on the same product I have, I am oviviosly going to want it as well. Your going to have people attempting to be advanced users and fail at it and on to complain how bad it is.

Also the moment you add those 'advanced' features, you will lose the fluidity of iOS

Edit: I wish people would provide meaningful arguments rather than the generic "Go to android if you want options' or 'go study and become the ceo of apple and do that'

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I for one, prefer to use iOS precisely because it doesn't do all of those other things
    It gives me a clean and consistent experience without all of the fuss and muss

Yes, I know some (minority) would like to change/tweak/etc (not sure I would call them power users though)
    That is not Apple's focus or target
    Their business model focuses on the user experience and they control it

Many of these changes and tweaks would result in battery drain and that is something Apple is slow to compromise

Apple does not compromise their products to provide "choice" for end users
    The "choice" they provide is to use their products or not
    And that seems to have worked well for them recently

9. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

It's a meaningful argument. Nobody wants to hear one's complaining. If one does not like it, then they shouldn't use it. When the OS gains the features they want then we'll welcome them back to the ecosystem with open arms.

If you have a brand of shampoo that doesn't work for you very well, why would you keep using it?

10. THE JUICEMAN thread starter macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

LOL I see someone is angry with their life. Guess what if you don't want to hear it then get off this thread. Just like no one is forcing me to use iPhone no one is forcing you to read this thread. I hope you feel better today.

----------

That make sense but if the features were no enabled by default would the average person find them and try to use them? I know some people that dont even know how to use the multitasking interface.

And I think Apple could implement these advanced features and still keep the smoothness of iOS. I have confidence they have some good developers working there.

11. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I'm not angry. I'm actually in a pretty good mood today. I'm simply telling you. If you don't like it or if it has features missing that you would really want when another product that is just as good as iOS and the iPhone have those missing features, why are you still on the same platform you're complaining about.

Like I said, when iOS gets these features, we will gladly accept you back into the ecosystem with open arms and free doughnuts.

It doesn't matter what Apple is thinking and no amount of discussion will change anything. It's Apple's product and we follow and use what they offer us. The only way it'll change is when Apple decides to.

Just like you have the choice to use the iPhone, I have the choice to voice my opinion, which I have.

If you choose to interpret that I'm angry and enjoy putting people down, you can do that, but you would be very wrongly informed.

12. THE JUICEMAN thread starter macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

I agree it does work well for them. And I agree that sometimes I don't want all of those advanced features. But I would love the choice. They would be disabled out of the box so you wouldn't even have to see them ;-)

----------

Wait a minute, doughnuts?! LOL I understand what you are saying but you are not contributing to the discussion by telling me to go be a developer for Apple. Plus I HATE coding.

If it was easy, there wouldn't be so many people complaining as you say. I may go to the next Nexus device that come out to attempt to solve this problem.

13. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

The OP isn't complaining he wants to understand why apple has chosen This path. If you read the title it is a discussion about why. I am sorry you are not capable of comprehensive discussion.

Why do you read these threads if you don't like them?

You hit the nail on the head. This is exactly why I prefer iOS as well.

It works as I want it to when I need it to and don't have to ever worry about any anomalies. The majority of iOS users don't care for those additional tweaks.

I actually stopped jail breaking my device because I noticed the millisecond lag when opening folders and it bothered me lol.

14. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

It is easy, try a different device.

I mean the logic doesn't make sense:

"iOS and the iPhone are missing a lot of features that I would really like to use that Android has"

*person wishing for features that another strong and very well made platform have refuse to use that platform. Person continues to use current platform they're already on and well then in the future go complain about it*

If you really want these features, then try out Android! Nobody (except for die hard Apple fans) are going to hate you for trying it and seeing if it works for you.

Sometimes for some people there is no fix, and that's OK too, but you need to keep in mind no amount of discussion will change anything. It'll happen when Apple choses to do it, and if you want that now, then i would recommend you try to implement that yourself, or simply wait or use a different platform.

----------

When did I say I didn't like them?

I gave my reasoning because I am allowed to. I am capable of comprehensive discussion.

I never once said he was complaining, I was talking about people who do, and there is a slight tone of complaint in there:

I am allowed to give my opinion and say what I want to. I'm sorry you're not able to comprehend opinions outside your own.

15. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

Apple is what it is and what is always has been. They have always been very restrictive and controlling. It is a great reason for their sucess but also probably a great reason they aren't bigger than they are and why windows exists. I remember the days when you had to buy any Apple product at a physical store - no mail order. They wanted you to have training and support - boy did that limit sales.

It is tough to say if you don't like it leave but that really is your only effective choice. I suspect that if you are a developer you like some of the restrictions - you know pretty exactly what your user is going to see and how they can do things, that must make it easier to make a robust application.

16. THE JUICEMAN thread starter macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

I agree with you. But as I mentioned in my post, I have tried Android. A couple of times. As recently as last week actually. I had a Galaxy Nexus LTE. I returned it because of the poor battery life, poor screen compared to iPhone, older hardware, and no ETA on Jelly Bean. Not to mention I decided that I didn't want to pay my ETF with AT&T.

17. Crzyrio, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Because you are complaining about people like him.

There is a little complaint in his post, no doubt. Are you completely happy with iOS?

The point of this thread was to try and and get a better understanding of Apples decisions and you provided no useful opinion.

Maybe the OP doesnt fully understand why Apple made these decisions and is trying to get an understanding.

18. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

There, now we can be civil.

I am completely happy with iOS. I would welcome new features, but iOS is a perfect fit for me on my phone. It has all the features I need for me.

I may not have provided a useful opinion (as interpreted by you), but I still offered mine, which I am allowed to do.

19. urkel macrumors 68030

Ugh. There is nothing more obnoxious than a parrot.

Honestly, can you imagine if this sort of blind stonewalling of thought would happen when talking about government or religion or science? Technology is SUPPOSED to change but that change doesn't occur if discussions get hijacked by closed minded people who constant repeat over and over (and over and over) about how the only way to change is to leave.

20. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Because the change is out of our control. It is 100% completely up to Apple's choices. If Apple doesn't change, the product won't change, and we just put up with it or use something else.

How am I close minded? What am I close-minded about?

21. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

I think the majority of people here think your opinion was not useful. It in NO WAY addressed the question being asked or provided any useful argument.

No doubt you are allowed to but your argument was not contributing to the discussion and has done nothing but take this entire thread of topic.

We know the change is out of our control but we still want to know the reasoning behind their decisions.
    And since Apple doesn't document why they do or don't make changes, we have discussions.

22. urkel macrumors 68030

Apple relies more on on internal research than most other companies, but that doesnt mean EVERYTHING they introduce is a result of things that happen in their labs. Public opinion CAN change things. Jobs has even said several times that "we hear you and we did this..." so the idea that change is 100% out of the control of their own products is ridiculous. We've already seen it happen and with competition really giving Apple something to work against then their customers opinions will mean much more than it used to.

You came into a clearly marked discussion wearing full defensive riot gear and repeated the exact same sentence twenty times. By being that repetitive you aren't trying to voice your opinion, you're trying to stop others from giving theirs. And it worked because this topic became more about you than about the original subject the OP created.

23. THE JUICEMAN thread starter macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

Right. We have discussions on rumors and our thoughts and opinions. That is what these forums are for. Of course we are probably not going to impact Apple decisions but it is just conversation.

So, is putting advanced features tucked away so they don't scare off the general population to much to ask for? I don't think so.

What do you all think about the rumors for iPhone 5 and the announced iOS 6? Is it enough to WOW you and keep you with iPhone?

24. Zcott macrumors 68020

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but the next iPhone doesn't need to wow me to make me stay with Apple. I've invested a lot of money into the iOS ecosystem with apps, iPads and iPhones, and my system works for me. I won't be jumping ship to android if the next iPhone doesn't have a Bluetooth toggle on the lock screen.

The iPhone works for me, and, I imagine, most people on this board. Why jump over minor issues like this?

25. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

All right, fair enough, I understand what you're saying.

As far as the main discussion goes (which I do recognize and admit I did distract and take the discussion far off topic), if they were to put advanced features they're going to be well hidden.

UI enhancements aren't really power features though. Apple wants to keep all the devices universal. Same interface, same lock screen, notifications, same fonts, etc.

As far as the 6th Generation iPhone and iOS 6, I recently went to the 4S so I'll have a better say-so when the 7th Generation iPhone + iOS 7 comes out on wether I continue down the iPhone path.

----------

This was the point I was attempting to push (and I did get overboard, sorry everyone!). I'm also like you, the iPhone doesn't need to wow me. I can and most people probably can name about 10 phones that are better in terms of specs and features, but that doesn't mean anything.