Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Nonetheless only two companies having more than 90% of the smartphone market, at least software-wise, can’t be good for consumers. No way it can be good.

There used to be many smartphone platforms.

But Apple and Google made such attractive products that consumers chose them instead of Blackberry, Palm, Windows Phone, Symbian, etc. That's how the market works.

I hear what you're saying... but Apple and Google didn't ask to become 90% of the smartphone market. They got there by everyone else dropping out.

We always say competition is good. Well... that's exactly what happened in the platform wars. There were many players competing... and most couldn't survive. So that's why there are just two platforms today. That's how it works.

Software-wise... would a developer want to support 3 or 4 platforms? Could they support that many platforms? That was the big problem with Windows Phone... no apps. Developers were so busy making iPhone and Android apps... that they couldn't spend time making Windows Phone apps.

People didn't buy Windows Phones because it didn't have the apps... and developers didn't make apps because people didn't buy Windows Phones. It was quite a dilemma.

I remember the computer market in the 80's and 90's. IBM compatible, Atari ST, Commodore 64, Amiga, Apple II, and so on.

And now it's just Windows and Mac.

Sometimes that's just how it works.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Nonetheless only two companies having more than 90% of the smartphone market, at least softwarewise, can’t be good for consumers. No way it can be good.
The history of software platforms says otherwise. Consumers seem to settle on two platforms across the vast majority of the market. And the mobile market is certainly far healthier than the desktop market.

Xenden

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Rio Rancho, NM
Yes it does. Nobody cares if you have the monopoly on something nobody uses. But the App Store has become too dominant and disrupts the market of mobile apps.

If a platform (1) has significant impact on the internal market; (2) provides a specified service that is an important gateway for business users to reach end users; and (3) enjoys an entrenched and durable position, then the EU labels it a gatekeeper.

These companies (including Apple with its App Store) need to take measures to level the playing field for other actors (in the EU).

I mean this with no disrespect, I couldn’t give two snits about what the EU thinks. The EU has a history of trying to bully around American companies.

In regards to (2), Android is the leader in non-American countries. How can Apple be a monopoly, when iOS is the minority world wide.

What it comes down to is a disagreement with Apple’s policies. A government doesn’t get to tell a corporation what to do just because they wish they could side load an app or use third party payment processors to side step Apple getting their commission.

• Disagree
Reactions: hagar

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
I mean this with no disrespect, I couldn’t give two snits about what the EU thinks. The EU has a history of trying to bully around American companies.

In regards to (2), Android is the leader in non-American countries. How can Apple be a monopoly, when iOS is the minority world wide.

What it comes down to is a disagreement with Apple’s policies. A government doesn’t get to tell a corporation what to do just because they wish they could side load an app or use third party payment processors to side step Apple getting their commission.
That’s a misrepresentation and interpretation of the reasoning behind the EU decision.

First, and I mean this with no disrespect, the EU doesn’t give two snits about what you think either. If a company, any company, wants to do business in the EU, it has to follow their rules. If a company doesn’t like it, they can get out of that market.

Second, this is not about Apple not being allowed a commission. This is about Apple being the only gatekeeper of what‘s allowed on iOS devices. And getting ALL commissions, not allowing for competition or a free market. The EU has determined this gives too much power to Apple. it doesn’t matter Android exists. The App Store is a monopoly for iOS devices in and by itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.