Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imHappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
As title says, imagine it!

You will always carry your iphone with you, instead of creating a mouse, apple could simply use the iphone screen as trackpad. After the 6s, the 3d touch would be used as right click and with handoff; it could be seamlessly integrated.

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
There already is support for that through certain apps---funny thing though--those are apps for remoting into Macs and PCs. Devices that are designed for mouse use.

Reactions: Yakibomb

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
Or the Apple TV remote
[doublepost=1499660415][/doublepost]
Excuse my ignorance, but I really don't see any major use cases for mouse support on an iPad
Generally, any activity requiring repeated screen touching - think "web-based forms that have lots of drop-down selection boxes" which is my personal use case. I'd prefer a touchpad, but 'mouse support' means the same thing to me.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Or you could use the screen of the iPad itself

You certainly can. A lot of the complaints about that are when the iPad is docked on an ASK requiring a user to reach out to touch the screen which is not very comfortable to do for any stretch of time.

Reactions: rui no onna

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You certainly can. A lot of the complaints about that are when the iPad is docked on an ASK requiring a user to reach out to touch the screen which is not very comfortable to do for any stretch of time.

However, I would not say it's uncomfortable either depending how someone is sitting/positioned using the Smart Keyboard as well. But Using the touch display, I find it just as quick, if not more efficient to use my finger to scroll specifically or pin point what I want using my finger or Apple Pencil to create less of a reach to assist with this.

Last edited:

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
If you want a mouse enabled device,that's not very much heavier or larger than the iPad Pro and cost about the same as a large iPad Pro,why not just buy a MacBook Air with an Apple Magic Mouse?

Reactions: Sunny1990

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If you want a mouse enabled device,that's not very much heavier or larger than the iPad Pro and cost about the same as a large iPad Pro,why not just buy a MacBook Air with an Apple Magic Mouse?

Because number one, you're in an iPad forum where the user prefers the iPad for mobile computing or other media tasks that might be easier with a track pad. Currently, the Apple smart keyboard does not incorporate a trackpad, which would be more essential without having to reach across the display from the keyboard.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
Because number one, you're in an iPad forum where the user prefers the iPad for mobile computing or other media tasks that might be easier with a track pad. Currently, the Apple smart keyboard does not incorporate a trackpad, which would be more essential without having to reach across the display from the keyboard.
I understand,but IF youre not goding to use the touchscreen,a laptop would in My opinion be better.

Reactions: Sunny1990

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
I would agree with this. That's why I have both an iPad and laptop, for different purposes.
Same for me. Of course,my 13 inch rMBP is a bit larger than my iPad Air 2,but it's still a lightweight laptop.
Soo,when I need a mouse,or a device that can be remote controlled from my phone,I use my laptop.

Hym tix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I think we should try to stay on topic here. The discussion of whether or not iOS needs mouse support has been argued to death. And some of us decided yes there are times it would be useful to have a mouse on iOS.

In those times I would love to be able to switch my phone to "trackpad mode" where all calls/ alerts get routed to iPad and the iPhone just becomes a trackpad. Apple could easily make this work very well. It would be brilliant for RDP or using the MS Office apps, especially Excel.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
I think we should try to stay on topic here. The discussion of whether or not iOS needs mouse support has been argued to death. And some of us decided yes there are times it would be useful to have a mouse on iOS.

In those times I would love to be able to switch my phone to "trackpad mode" where all calls/ alerts get routed to iPad and the iPhone just becomes a trackpad. Apple could easily make this work very well. It would be brilliant for RDP or using the MS Office apps, especially Excel.
Ok,I see your point,but if I work with office apps like Excel,or similar,I prefer a laptop. For me,iOS is all about simplicity and mobility,and if I have a working touchscreen,it's all I need when using a tablet.

Hym tix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
A 4.5+ star rating with 25,000 reviews would suggest there are a few people who don't always prefer a laptop for Excel.

Regardless, imagine if your Smart Cover happens to have a great keyboard, and the phone in your pocket happens to work as a great trackpad... is there a chance your preference for the Laptop would be lessened? This feature would be great for anyone who thinks so.

And it would do nothing to decrease simplicity and mobility, if anything it would improve on both accounts because you can leave the laptop at home ;-)

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
A 4.5+ star rating with 25,000 reviews would suggest there are a few people who don't always prefer a laptop for Excel.

Regardless, imagine if your Smart Cover happens to have a great keyboard, and the phone in your pocket happens to work as a great trackpad... is there a chance your preference for the Laptop would be lessened? This feature would be great for anyone who thinks so.

And it would do nothing to decrease simplicity and mobility, if anything it would improve on both accounts because you can leave the laptop at home ;-)
Usually I don't need to carry around my laptop that much,and when I really need full scale mobility,an iPad is also too bulky to carry around. Of course,for a minority of users,the iPhone as trackpad is a good idea,and fact is,that I use my iPhone as a trackpad/remote control sometimes,but only for my laptop.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I don't see an iPhone working well as a trackpad. It would make more sense to use the Apple trackpad for that purpose. Integrating trackpad support to iOS would be trivial.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Why wouldn't Apple just design a new Smart Keyboard with a Force Touch trackpad?

It's silly to degrade an iPhone to perform trackpad functions. What kind of user would want to lose phone capability to gain trackpad functions?

The Smart Keyboard costs Apple less than $20 to manufacture. Why wouldn't Apple introduce a $250 accessory and profit instead of adopting this silly idea?

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
Why wouldn't Apple just design a new Smart Keyboard with a Force Touch trackpad?

It's silly to degrade an iPhone to perform trackpad functions. What kind of user would want to lose phone capability to gain trackpad functions?

The Smart Keyboard costs Apple less than $20 to manufacture. Why wouldn't Apple introduce a $250 accessory and profit instead of adopting this silly idea?
When I use my iPhone 6 as laptop trackpad,I'm not losing any other features in the phone. And of course I can get an apple trackpad,but why pay for that? I got two different phone apps for remote control of my laptop,one straight trackpad app,and one that's called "air mouse " that makes the MacBook gesture controlled.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
When I use my iPhone 6 as laptop trackpad,I'm not losing any other features in the phone. And of course I can get an apple trackpad,but why pay for that? I got two different phone apps for remote control of my laptop,one straight trackpad app,and one that's called "air mouse " that makes the MacBook gesture controlled.

You lose the ability to take a phone call while using the phone as a track pad.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Never had that problem,when I'm on my wifi with my phone,phone calls always are sent to my home phone anyway.

You're a weird case though. For the rest of the world, owning a smartphone means having access to the phone feature.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
You lose the ability to take a phone call while using the phone as a track pad.
Umm, why? When I use my iPhone as AppleTV remote, I can still receive incoming calls and messages. I expect it will work much the same here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.