Apple cover causes damage to ipad 2!

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by junker, Mar 29, 2011.

1. junker macrumors 6502

junker

I waited in line 3 x's over two weeks...I finally got my ipad 2. i bought a cover to protect it (apple cover) and now I've used it for about a week and I 'm getting these scratches from the apple cover hinge (see picture)

it really bothers me, but I'm not sure this is enough damage to go in ask for and exchange. I have had apple products for years and I've always got good protection for the carry-able devices.

I don't know whether I'm over-reacting to normal wear and tear, it's just that I feel it's would be a bit longer than one week to show this sort of damage (ie: wear and tear) Unfortunately, there really was no other case available at the time of purchase.

What do you think I should do in this situation?

- And, is anyone else noticing this with their covers?

thanks

Attached Files:

2. alan111 macrumors regular

I have the same thing.
    I just licked my thumb tip and wiped it away. No more scratches.

3. junker thread starter macrumors 6502

junker

Yeah thanks, I feel pretty dopey!

However, I notice that your solution doesn't resolve with the hinge - it's still scratched... it looks still the same as the photo.

4. Gav$ter macrumors newbie

Junker have you tried rubbing these and seeing if they disappear? I get these on both of my iPad 2's but if I rub them with a cloth or finger they fade. I don't get any marks if I leave the SmartCover on. I only get marks if I remove the SmartCover completely and put it back on again a couple of times.

5. Silent Assassin macrumors member

That's not 'damage', that's metal shaving dust from the hinges of the cover.. that's all.. you can just WIPE it off with your thumb, or some non abrasive cleaner.. :eek::eek:

Don't panic.. lol

6. jenlevin macrumors regular

that sucks. I didn't buy a smart cover because it seems inevitable that it would scratch it. I'd say you may as well try to get it exchanged, while it's still a recent purchase. +before numerous other people have the same problem, and start complaining. I would think they may be more likely do be lenient if it is not something they have come across (much). Good luck.

7. miamialley, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

They don't seem like scratches. More like shavings, as someone else noted. There is another thread with someone showing similar pictures. I haven't had the issue with mine.

8. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

That's why I installed a wrapsol skin on the back now there's no worrying about the smart cover scratching the back, plus it adds anise feel to the back with extra grip.

9. iCrazepodz macrumors newbie

Help!! Has not fixed!!!!!

Hi i have the same Problem!! i have tried rubbing off but it will not remove have silver/white marks on iPad 2 and orange marks on smart cover! Can Anyone help?

10. junker thread starter macrumors 6502

junker

My solution was to go to the Apple store, complain about it and get a refund on the cover. At the time (a few months back) they offered to even replace the ipad but it would've been a few weeks for my replacement to arrive (this was the time of long lines) and I said no.

I ended up getting this case:

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/magazine-jacket-cl57925

.... which I've found to be a good, slim case with protection from bumping corners and gives a similiar "smart cover" functionality (no magnet on/off though). If you find one with the magnetic functionality, please let me know!

Good luck -

edit: It looks like they have one with the magnetic functionality now too!

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/snap-case-cl57962

11. malias4 macrumors 6502

malias4

i have a carbon skin on the back so no problems here 1 its sad though if the smart cover cause scratches on the back..:rolleyes: