Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
My guess is that it's just like the Apple power adapter scenario. . . However those were/are crazy dangerous, but still Apple ended up getting a lot of those wiped from Amazon existence.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
My guess is that it's just like the Apple power adapter scenario. . . However those were/are crazy dangerous, but still Apple ended up getting a lot of those wiped from Amazon existence.

That's because they were being passed off, sold as, labeled as genuine Apple products, not generic knockoffs. There's a difference. Printing "Apple" on Brand X's product and telling people they are buying a real Apple device is illegal.

Selling something that looks like it, but is labeled as Brand X, is ok in most senses. Still may be some legal grey areas though.

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
Not sure why the knock-offs couldn't add some sort of coating or make the material less prone to dust collection. I'm more than happy with my cheap and fairly well made Milanese Loop, and other 3rd party efforts. But when it comes to the Sport Band, I just can't get past Apple's originals. My only regret is not getting the yellow. I got a yellow knock-off and while it certainly looks the part, it's just crap when it comes to wearing it.

SpicySpaceRat

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2017
Not sure why the knock-offs couldn't add some sort of coating or make the material less prone to dust collection. I'm more than happy with my cheap and fairly well made Milanese Loop, and other 3rd party efforts. But when it comes to the Sport Band, I just can't get past Apple's originals. My only regret is not getting the yellow. I got a yellow knock-off and while it certainly looks the part, it's just crap when it comes to wearing it.

They could but there is a reason why they don't do that, the way how business is done in China will explain it.

Usually someone orders a product from a factory and then this factory sells it also to other local sellers.

So the first buyer sets the standards of that product and later the factory just continues the mass production according to these standards.

So if that buyer wanted a cheap and low quality, then all of the further products will be like that.
There is no point for the factory to invest money into improvement and risk to loose their money by doing so.

Later some small resellers buy it in bulks and sell it on ebay, and they have no influence on the final product even if they wanted.

So to get a good one you have to avoid the small resellers and buy directly from local chinese brands or a factory, and of course you need to know which one of them are good and which are not.

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
Usually someone orders a product from a factory and then this factory sells it also to other local sellers.

So the first buyer sets the standards of that product and later the factory just continues the mass production according to these standards.

So to get a good one you have to avoid the small resellers and buy directly from local chinese brands or a factory, and of course you need to know which one of them are good and which are not.

Fair enough, but I suspect NO ONE actually came up with a silicone lookalike that also wasn't a dust magnet.

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
I bought my Nike knock-offs from OULUOQI and they are not dust magnets.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MCWYSJZ

I have not tried their Sport bands, but if the are the same material, you might have a winner.

TxWatch

I can second this. My Nike knockoffs from them are my daily wear and they are not dust magnets.

And my wife has a pink and teal sports band from them, and neither are dust magnets.

OULUOQI seems to be a notch above the other knock offs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.