Apple creating a Bluetooth competitor ?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by TheRealAlex, Nov 28, 2018.

1. TheRealAlex macrumors 68000

Since I've been enjoying my new Sony WH1000XM3 and delicious High quality audio
    Via aptX HD and LDAC. I started to wonder why Apple purchased BEATs ? And since aptXHD is owned by Qualcomm and LDAC owned by Sony.
    Where is Apple's own high bitrate Codec ?

We saw a starter test with the W1 chip and Apple is likely done analyzing all the data collected. And is ready to launch an alternative to Bluetooth since Apple really hates paying Licensing fee for each device.

They will as far as what I am hearing release a new W3 Chip with the upcoming iPhone with USB-C in 2019.

2. Zoddino macrumors regular

Zoddino

I don't think Apple will do anything else, they want to push their lossy AAC codec with bluetooth, especially bluetooth AAC-enabled headphones suchs as the Beats, AirPods and others like Sony MDR-1000X that support AAC through bluetooth without conversions. I wish there was something better than that though, I'm using Tidal

3. ericwn macrumors 68030

I don’t believe your story. Content from Apple Music and iTunes isn’t even on an uncompressed sound level.

The W1 chip in my understanding helps AirPods and the like switching between devices. AirPods still use Bluetooth to transfer data.

4. chabig macrumors 603

Bluetooth is a successful industry standard. Apple is not going to replace it.

5. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

These members are the most active in the SIG and have considerable influence over both the strategic and technological directions of Bluetooth as a whole.