Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
That is certainly a Different way of doing things. It must have a DVI Connector in there or something to allow the laptop to connect to the screen.

Matek

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
That seems weird, I don't really see any point in it.

If the dock is a whole computer with an ability to dock a laptop, it's kinda weird because you can only use one of them at the same time. It's like having a desktop computer and then unplugging all peripherals and replugging them into your laptop - why would you do that on a regular basis? In my experience, dock users usually have powerful laptops and use them as primary systems and docks just provide them with easily available extensions.

On the other hand, if it's just a monitor, it's awkward because you can only use that single Apple display, they don't give you any choices.

I'd prefer they just release a regular dock - not having one is currently a major downside of their laptop range.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
The concept reminds me of the good 'ol Duo's, but the sketch is a little rough... I'm not sure if there's a big enough market for this, but I could see how some might find it useful.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Creating iMac-like Docking Station

A patent application submitted in 2006 and published for the first time today has revealed that Apple is working on a docking station for portable computers, the exterior of which closely resembles Apple's iMac line of desktop computers.

iMacDock_300.jpg

A docking station is disclosed. The docking station includes a display and a housing configured to hold the display in a manner that exposes a viewing surface of the display to view. The housing defines a docking area configured to receive a portable computer; The docking area is at least partly obscured by the display when viewed from the viewing surface side of the display at an angle substantially orthogonal to the viewing surface.

Apple argues that its docking station concept is superior in that it requires less desk space due to its vertical orientation. It is also simpler, as the display is integrated and wireless network technologies will be employed for communication between the dock and the portable.

There has been some speculation around the internet that the patent could be tied to the rumored Apple ultra-portable. While the timing of the publication is interesting, the application itself remains generic in nature, and appears to be applicable to any notebook computer.

Raw Data: Patent Application #20080002350

Article Link

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I wonder if the dock will have an integrated LCD and the whole laptop just tucks in behind it, or if it will be an open area that a Mac tablet (with multi-touch?) would slide into, as kontheur mocked up:

imac_touch.jpg

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2004
Let's hope that Apple works out the kinks... and makes it a little bit classier than the... uh...

apple_duodock_1.jpg

nicoboss

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2002
New York
pffff --- this looks old/fake

if it is a concept, they have no reason to be that precise in their drawing (imac looking "dock", thick macbook, apple logos etc..) - just compare these drawings to the "sliding-icons-iphone" patent drawings that looks much more generic as any patent application should be (in my view).....
Also it looks really similar to the old performa duo series and would not really need any "concept" patent as this one seems to be.

I am not impressed...

volk

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2006
I wonder if the dock will have an integrated LCD and the whole laptop just tucks in behind it, or if it will be an open area that a Mac tablet (with multi-touch?) would slide into, as kontheur mocked up:

http://frankreinders.nl/foto/800/imac_touch.jpg

This would actually be cool. Inside the dock, there should be a huge hard drive to make up for the lack of one in the sub-notebook. Unfortunately, the patent doesn't read like this mock up.

SciTeach

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2006
NEK
Agreed on the "two tablet"...why? I should be interesting if Apple does develop something like this in say...3-4 years...imho.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007

I don't know that such a design makes sense. Consider that a tablet would need to have all if not most of the innards required to be a fully functional computer. I've seen other patents that suggest Apple's design for a tablet would be the tablet docks to an armature like the L-curve one that holds up the Apple Cinema displays. In such a case, the tablet is the display face, rather than sliding into an empty case that serves little or no purpose other than to be a large unwieldy shell that does nothing on its own.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2004
Although that mockup is indeed sexy, it also scares the crap out of me. A 20" multi-touch tablet? What one earth would one use that for?

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
Now we're talking.
I can imagine this being a little too lofty for the average Joe but if you have the money :rolleyes:

Lofty because that mockup would be a 24 inch HD tablet? We're talking 10 inches people, 12 tops, you would probably like to have a bigger desktop screen. And if that screen had it's own graphics card, hd and optical drive; then the solution becomes ever more svelte. I actually like it, and hope it is an option!
Zip disk? No, it's a whole computer!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.