Apple crediting iPad purchases back into bank accounts?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SATX78209, Mar 16, 2011.

1. SATX78209 macrumors member

Logged on to my bank today and noticed Apple had stuck $925.40 back into my account for my iPad 2 (Black, 64GB WiFi + 3G on AT&T). Previously, they had debited the amount and it was not in my account. Hmm..... backordered much?:confused:

2. ukwildcat macrumors 6502

Common practic to put a hold on a purchase for 48 hours, and then release the hold. The charge will come back once the item ships.

3. SATX78209 thread starter macrumors member

If it ever ships... Ordered at 1:04 AM and nothing has changed since launch day.

4. auero macrumors 65816

This isn't anything out of the ordinary. Happens all the time.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No monies ever changed hands (to Apple) and Apple had NOTHING to do with it. Apple just did an authorization on your CC. Depending on your credit history, credit debt, credit limit and issuing bank your Bank may "hold" back the amount as "insurance" that you can afford it. If no charge is made it's standard policy for the bank to release the authorized funds after a cretin period of time.

6. MacAppleMan macrumors newbie

As someone who uses a debit card a ton online, this is common practice. It's a way of making sure that you have enough funds in your bank account to cover the purchase and then they release the hold. The money was never really taken out of your account even though it looked that way. The amount will be taken out again when they prepare/ ship it.

7. SATX78209 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for clarifying! I just thought it was strange that they would "hold" the money for over four days...

Trying to think why I didn't just stand in line.

8. ukwildcat macrumors 6502

Good point! 1:06 am here. Same boat.

9. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

I'm sure it will ship some day, I doubt they are out to get you specifically. :)

10. MacAppleMan macrumors newbie

No problem. Yea first time I ever used my debit online and it happened to me I was like WTF hah

11. SATX78209 thread starter macrumors member

Haha. I know. Maybe Apple will reward me for being patient. (Although I think I'm being very impatient!)