Apple CTO SSDs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by axu539, Feb 25, 2011.

  1. axu539 macrumors 6502a

    Dec 31, 2010
    I'd placed my order for a 15" 2.2 GHz MBP yesterday, but upon reading some threads on Lion (and how TRIM support is there, but only for Apple SSDs), I decided to cancel my order and think things through before re-ordering. I know that Apple will likely eventually throw in TRIM support for all SSDs with the appropriate capabilities, but I still decided to play things safe.

    Now I'd like to point out I already have an Intel X25-M SSD, which I believe does a fairly good job of handling performance degradation compared to many SSDs on the market. I hear Sandforce does better, but Intel is still the most thoroughly tested. I know that Apple will likely eventually throw in TRIM support for all SSDs with the appropriate capabilities, but I'd still like to do the research before I make my final purchase (buying and returning is not really an option, as that is an absolute pain).

    Anyway, to get back to my point, I remembered that the current MacBook Airs use Toshiba SSDs with tweaked firmware. Someone (can't find the site right now) actually tested those blade SSDs and found very little performance degradation (compared to the ones they used in the 09 MBPs) which is great news! I am wondering if anyone has ordered a CTO 2011 MBP with one of Apple's SSDs. I'd like to know if there is still significant performance degradation like in 09, or has Apple firmware/Toshiba controller advances alleviated most of that?

    While the high capacity SSDs (256 GB and 512 GB) are hardly worth it at those current prices, upgrading from default HDD in the high end 15" and 17" models to a 128 GB SSD is only $90 for students. It goes against everything I've been arguing for, but I'm wondering if buying the Apple SSD this time will be worth it. If Apple has indeed improved the firmware on all of the SSDs they release, the tradeoff seems to be quite acceptable. Similarly priced SSDs from Apple vs. aftermarket, with Apple's being a little slower (not noticeable in real life), but with possibly more software stability, and piece of mind (covered under Apple's own warranty).

    Sorry this post is so long and jumbled, but I wanted to make my question as clear and thorough as possible. Any thoughts?
  2. Benito macrumors 6502a


    Jan 5, 2010
    Toronto, Canada
    Great question, I'm thinking about the same, ordering a 15" MBP with a 128 GB SSD and then putting a HD in the optibay.
  3. oakie macrumors 6502


    Oct 16, 2008
    i dont think Apple is using customized 2.5" SSD drives in their laptops... iirc, they've always used "off-the-shelf," mainstream components in that regard, like RAM. the only exception is the 2010 MBAir since it was in a pioneering form factor to begin with.

    i plan on checking out a new MBP this weekend sometime and can see if they'll pull the lid off and let me see for myself.
  4. Weaselboy Moderator


    Staff Member

    Jan 23, 2005
    I just ordered a default config low end 2011 13 MBP and plan to evaluate where we are with SSDs in the summer after Lion comes out. Looks like Lion at least supports TRIM in the MBA SSD and I would think they would add it for other SSD as development moves along. I figured by the summer release of Lion the new SSDs (Sandforce SF-2000) will be out at better prices and I can decide then what I want to do.
  5. axu539 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Dec 31, 2010
    I just got back from an Apple store.
    1. They don't carry the SSDs in any models in store.
    2. They don't have the SSDs in any on display computers.
    3. None of the employees really know anything about SSDs... or anything really. Good customer service, but not particularly knowledgable.

    I think I'm going to go ahead and just use my $90 student pricing for that 128 GB CTO option. $90 is a great deal considering that comes with Apple warranty as well. Worst-case scenario, I swap in my 160 GB Intel X25-M and use that until Lion can keep the Apple drive reliable.
  6. axu539 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Dec 31, 2010
    I would've gone that route, but what got me to cancel my order was that I saw Lion is supporting TRIM, but only in Apple SSDs. I'm going to put my order back in, with the 128 GB SSD this time. Better safe than sorry.

Share This Page